cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stable Rate change

Fixes: 133

Stable Rate change

For some time my Stable Rate was 6000 Kbps with my modem reporting an upload speed of 7072 Kbps.

A while ago (maybe 2 weeks or so) I noticed that the Stable Rate had gone up to 6500 Kbps with my modem reporting around 7200Kbps.

Today my Stable Rate has returned to 6000 with the modem showing 7072 again.

While this isn't a real problem as I get great speeds the majority of the time I was wondering why it should happen.

My modem is the Solwise SAR130; where is the data stored regarding modem downtime (line drops), etc?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

7 REPLIES
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Stable Rate change

Hi,

It's just the way that Max works, everytime your line resyncs it will sync at the best speed the line can support at that time. Which means that because of external factors like street lights, the weather, time of day, electrical interference, etc. it can and will sync at a different speed.

So at some point it's sync'd at or above 7392kbps and the throughput rate has increased because it's sync'd at that speed for 3-5 days, then the sync rate has dropped below 7392kbps and the throughput rate has gone back down to 6000kbps.

Stable Rate change

Thanks Dave. But that part I was already aware of.

What I'd like to know is how do I find from my modem the times it re-synced so that I can fathom what caused it to happen?

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Stable Rate change

Ah, not sure if the Solwise does that. Have you checked over on the Solwise forum:

http://www.solwiseforum.co.uk/

If not I can probably run a report off from BT for you.

Stable Rate change

Thanks Dave.

I'm searching the forum now.

DNo need to go to any other trouble at this stage. As I said previously, it isn't a problem - I am just interested Smiley

kitz
Rising Star

Stable Rate change

Its a couple of years now since Ive used a SAR but going from memory - Its under the "Admin" tab.
Then theres a link somewhere at the top for the alarm logs.

You also need to set SNTP on the router first for it to be able to log the times correctly.

The log it produces isnt too bad and should have the info you require to see when resyncs have occured, it can soon overwrite data though and a reboot erases it totally.
I also ran Kiwi Syslog at one point with the router to get more insight but iirc it was a bit fiddly to set up and I had to set up loads of custom filters.. it must be about 4 years ago that I set it up so cant remember that much about doing it now Im afraid.
JonnyF
Grafter

Stable Rate change

I think somthing is going on at BT to be honest.

A while back my SNR got set to 12db (had been at 6db for 18 months prior to that with no problems whatsoever)

Eventually I managed to get it set back to 6db, and have been problem free for several months.

A couple of weeks ago, a mate of mine on Plusnet experienced exactly the same problem, out of the blue with no prior problems 6db to 12db.

Today, for no apparent reason my router suddenly appeared to be syncing with a 12db SNR again...

No idea whats going on, but I'm sure its not because of problems on my line because I experience absolutly no issues, then my SNR suddenly changes.

Oddness.

Jon.
James
Grafter

Stable Rate change

Hi Jon,

What's the weather been like round your area? If it's been severe, then it would possibly cause a poorer level of signal, hence the increased noise margin that you're seeing.

Let me know if it doesn't right itself and we can always get something raised to BT on your behalf.