cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stable Rate and Speed Dropped from 8000 to 1500 ??

Phileasfrog
Grafter

Since being Maxed some months ago I have had a rock solid Stable Rate of 8000 with a typical Speed Test of between 5000 - 6500. Today I notice that the Stable Rate has dropped to 1500, with Speed Tests of less than 1500. I am less than 1/2 mile from the exchange with a good quality filter. What is the likely cause? I have tried re-booting the router to no avail. I have always switched the router off over night - could this be causing the BT side to lower the speed? Any ideas please?
4 REPLIES
Alecto
Grafter

There will have been some problem on the line that caused BT to lower your rate and tell Plusnet to do likewise. If it was just a hiccup, your speed will increase again over the next few days (3 I think is the suggested figure). That is what Max does, goes up if your line can take it, and down if it thinks your line can't take it.

Multiple rebootings can have the same effect and cause Max to think there is a problem.

But assuming your line is really OK, it always comes right. Presumably your sync speed is back up to what it was, if not your stable rate?
Phileasfrog
Grafter

Thanks for the response.... I have just carried out the BT SpeedTest :

1466 kilo bits per second (Kbps), your service bandwidth will have been quoted to you in kilo bits per second.

BT would regard the speed ranges shown below as normal service:
For 250kbps End Users speeds between 50 - 250kbps.
For 500kbps End Users speeds between 100 - 500kbps.
For 1000kbps End Users speeds between 200 - 1000kbps.
For 2000kbps End Users speeds between 400 - 2000kbps.

My Belkin router is showing :

Downstream / Upstream

Data rate
8128 448

Noise margin
11.2 22.0

Output power
19.8 12.1

Attenuation
22.0 12.5

So it is syncing at 8000 so, as you say, hopefully both the Stable rate and the effective speed will return to normal within a few days! This issue of whether or not to leave routers permanently switched on seems to be unresolved..... What is the consensus - is it a good idea or should it make no difference? Environmentally it appears to be fairly disastrous when potentially applied to millions of routers!

Should I reboot over the next few days or leave it permanently on?? All advice gratefully received......
Alecto
Grafter

Reboot the router once or twice a day. This will give you a few reconnects at a high sync rate and convince Max that your line is good for it.

Other than that, it's just waiting.
N/A

They are designed to be left on permanently, so there is no worry from a hardware point of view.

No issue should arise from turning it off overnight either, its only likely to affect your connection if you were to re-boot it numerous times over a short period of time, as this could be detected as a line fault/instability, causing your speed profile to be lowered.

Once a day, or ever a few times a day will be fine, as long as they are fairly well spaced out.