cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stable Rate and Actual Rate difference

N/A

Got upgraded to Max DSL on the 21st April, so have had enough time with the settling in bit. My Stable Rate is showing as 4000 Mbps on the Plusnet page, but results on several speed tests are saying more like around 2.80 Mbps.. Does Plusnet need to do something their end to lift the cap, as I have been at this speed pretty much from day 2/3 of the upgrade?

Thanks
13 REPLIES
N/A

I don't think you'll ever get 4000 Mbps Smiley Someone should look at that page and correct the units.

Eric
N/A

@ djc53320661

what speed does your router log on at
N/A

@ djc53320661

what speed does your router log on at

Hi

My DG834G is syncing at 4512 kbps, which even though I am just short of the full 4 Mbps, I should be getting 3.5 Mbps?

Cheers
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

The speeds will be affected by affected by exchange side contention, BT have said that at peak times Max may not operate any faster than a 2Mbps connection did, so 2.8Mbps is perfectly fine.
Dizzley
Grafter

The speeds will be affected by affected by exchange side contention, BT have said that at peak times Max may not operate any faster than a 2Mbps connection did, so 2.8Mbps is perfectly fine.

I missed that one in the original marketing-speak. Is there any way to determine if my exchange is contended at any moment?

I'm also dissappointed that my stable rate is 8000, my router is connected at 8192 and yet I'm getting around 3Mbit. I'm on a small rural exchange (Disley surprisingly Wink)
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

You can check

http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/

to see if there are any known reports from BT. Being at a small exchange might not help, if the VP capacity isn't particularly high it won't take many people maxing our their connections for the effects of local contention to kick in.
N/A

No, this is not the case, as this is not a one off I am getting this speed all the time. Any more suggestions?

Cheers
N/A

Same here
N/A

Sorry to but in, But on my exchange it says (Conisbrough)

VP capacity at this exchange is currently showing as Red.
Click here for further details

BT is reporting that some of the virtual paths at this exchange are not operating within BT Wholesale's planning guidance, although they are still operating within the product specification.

At busy times, your ADSL connection may operate at a reduced speed, although not all customers on your exchange may be affected. You should only contact support if there is no current ETA date set.

The ETA fix time is: 27 Apr 06

Record last updated: 10 Apr 06

Historical information for this exchange:

Status Date
03 Apr 06
27 Mar 06
20 Mar 06
13 Mar 06
06 Mar 06

So it says the ETA is the 27th April yet the start page still shows red.

Anyone know how to find out if there is VP (whatever that is) problems

And secondly anyone know if this will effect by connection when in training mode?
aeroalfie
Grafter

fraser333:
exact same here but on a different exchange, even the fix date is the same :?
N/A

@aeroalfie & fraser333 - I'm seeing the same info and same 'fix date' on the Watford exchange ... I suspect BT might still be on their Easter break Smiley
Dizzley
Grafter

Being at a small exchange might not help, if the VP capacity isn't particularly high it won't take many people maxing our their connections for the effects of local contention to kick in.
On the exchange checker it always appears green.

I've started pings from www.l8nc.com. The general graph is very good but I'm seeing occasional red spikes (packet loss) lasting 2 or 3 minutes even when I'm not using the connection. My router seems to run OK though. Traceroute also shows delays between my router and Plusnet.

I just get the idea that contention is going to be a fact of life from now on where it wasn't a month ago. Sad
N/A

Very confused about things on Maxdsl right now.
On day eight today and my downstream synch rate has remained between 4832 and 5088 (today) for most of this time.Upstream always remains at 448. SNR has ranged from 1db to 9db during this period. My router , Netgear DG834G, has held the connection really well throughout all this time.

My stable rate as indicated by Plusnet went down from 2000 about 5 days ago to 1000 which is what it still remains at today.
Worried that this is not going to improve and I will be stuck with 1MB download speed connection when previously I had a rock solid 2MB connection.

Anything I should be doing to make the stable rate improve or will it just update itself nearer to the completetion of 10 days of testing?