Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stable Rate + Virtual Paths

N/A

Hi All,

Had a dig around but nowt did i find :shock:
Anyways i was looking for the Stable rate dooda, cant find it since the portal update, just my speeds are a tad up n down.

Secondly, will the Virtual paths in the exchange affect Maxdsl ?
If so, can someone @ Plus give bt a poke as mines been up the creek since it got Maxdsl enabled, still showing red on the Exchange stats checker but green on the New fault checker ?? :?

Thats all folks
Cheers.
10 REPLIES
Community Veteran

https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=stable_rate

VP being amber/red can impact speeds. To prove where the problem may be (BT/Exchange or PN) run several BT Speed test at different times of the day.

PN just like any other ISP have no influence over BT on when exchanges are upgraded because they deal with BT Wholesale not BT.
N/A

Cheers peter, bookmarked it now!

Pretty much as i'd guessed then, I'm on max now but synced at 6500 although the speeds are from 1800-4100 ish.

The exchange has been on red since just before Max went live although the date given for a fix has since passed, 30 Apr thats BT for ya :roll:

Odd that the New Automated fault checker said it was green though.....
ah well thats progress/life at the sharp end :lol:
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I'm not convinced that the data in the Usertools exchange checker is up to date. Try this one:

http://www.prodigynet.co.uk/menu.php?page=support/adsllinecheck
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
N/A

Thanks elvin,
Nice link and more info on that, also bookmarked Cool

That just about answers it i think, according to that one my exchange is ok
MAX speed (upto 8000k) : Green (5000 kbps)
craign
Grafter

Fazer, I stand to be corrected, but the colours on that checker relate to your line, not to the overall exchange status? For example, my number always says

Line speed capabilities
:
Fixed Rate (1000k and 2000k) : Amber

but for a neighbour (same exchange)

Fixed Rate (1000k and 2000k) : Red

There's another exchange checker here and one here which does include the date of the last update received from BT.

One question though, when an exchange checker says "no known capacity problems " and reports green; what does that really mean? Eg, 90% utilisation of the exchange capacity when 50% of possible subscribers can get 1Mb throughput is acceptable ?
N/A

It could be worse than that if BT stick to their acceptable limits;

I can't remember them exactly, so I may require some correction, but I think its something along the lines of 200k being acceptable for a line up to 1Mbs, 300k being the lower limit for 2Mbs lines, and 400k being the lower acceptable limit for any lines of 4Mbs to 8Mbs.

As far as I recall, you have to hit speeds lower than these consistently before BT will consider there to be a fault on your line. If these limts are applied in a similar way, when comes to judging exchange capacity - Green would not neccesarily mean that everything is fine from a consumer point of view.

I am a little confused as to how the limits are calculated for Max however, since there is some talk along the lines of the 'Stable Rate' applied to your line being used as a threshold (or being used to calculate a threshold value) for fault definition.
craign
Grafter

James,

I wanted to highlight the difference in the colours on the different checkers which appears to be,

The Prodigy shows colours for the individual line capability,

The other exchange checkers' colours show exchange capacity status; which is what I was asking - how are these colours set?
N/A

Aargh! Now the picture changes slightly :roll:
Nildram says its fine zen says it was due for upgrade work re paths on the 18/05/06

I get the feeling the entire industry is a bit flaky on this sort of thing especially with BT in the mix, think i'm gonna quit this before i get any other differing results! :lol:

Still i suppose we can hope one day we'll all have a stable speed/ connection again like the pre Maxdsl days, personally im thinking those who havent got Max are the lucky ones in some ways!
N/A

I wanted to highlight the difference in the colours on the different checkers which appears to be,

Sorry - I was trying to answer your other question;
One question though, when an exchange checker says "no known capacity problems " and reports green; what does that really mean?

Your other question....

As far as different results for different lines within the exchange, I believe that may be related to which DSLAM you are connected to at the exchange. (Thats the bit of kit which provides the ADSL service)
I moved house 200yds and changed from one DSLAM to another within the exchange, and believe me, the last one I was on was a heck of a lot better!

I'm not sure where it was that you used to be able to find out which DSLAM you are on, I think it *was* on www.samknows.com although I can't find it now..
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I'm not sure where it was that you used to be able to find out which DSLAM you are on, I think it *was* on www.samknows.com although I can't find it now..

It was on the Usertools one for finding out about the free upgrades to 2MB last year.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)