cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stable Rate And The 3 Day Thing

N/A

I'm confused about this. On this https://portal.plus.net/features/highspeed.shtml page it says "if you see that your hardware is reporting a higher speed, you will need to connect at that speed at least once a day for a 3 day period to automatically update your connection speed."

But then I was told by a customer service rep and have also read on here and around the net that you need to stay connected for 3 days solid before BT will recognise an increase in speed.

So which one is it? Do I need to stay connected for 3 days solid without a single resync or disconnect and reconnect once a day. I also though that the more disconnections I had the lower the sync would go so how can disconnecting actually increase my speed. It all seems very contradictory.
7 REPLIES
N/A

just disconnect the modem/router once every three days to help the reports.

BUT

Dont bank on getting it within the 3 or 10 day period, BT are sitting on their backsides when it comes to sending back delta reports so that your speed increase can go through
N/A

Hope this helps

The latest BT report for your maximum speed is 576, this means that your speeds have to be lower than 403 (80%) for BT to investigate. Unfortuately as it is not we cannot raise a fault at this time.

I would recommend powering down for 1 hour and then leaving your hardware powered up for 3 days to get the maximum speed to increase.

Regards,
daviez
Grafter

Why no link to the max stable rate page from the portal? I was expecting a link from the Connection settings page or something...?
N/A

Re: Stable Rate And The 3 Day Thing

But then I was told by a customer service rep and have also read on here and around the net that you need to stay connected for 3 days solid before BT will recognise an increase in speed.

Problem is how on earth are we to do that when the line drops a dozen times a night?
N/A

Mine doesnt drop didnt drop at 1.1 either had a good stable connection ... i know i wont get much more but i would love my 1.1 back thios is so frustarating :x
N/A

@daviez
Clicky for stable rate here
I suspect that if your line keeps dropping, BT's equipment will see this as an indication that your line cannot support this speed in a stable manner (rightly or wrongly) and will continue to decrease the speed in an attempt to find the fastest stable speed.
Community Veteran

Re: Stable Rate And The 3 Day Thing

Problem is how on earth are we to do that when the line drops a dozen times a night?

You do not need to stay connected for 3 days.

What BT want to see is that whenever you are connected, they will keep a note of your sync speed over a rolling 3 day period and will use the lowest value to set the MSR.

Generally people are finding the external noise sources, street lights, etc, are active at night when many people are at home. So Yes at night your line is noisey and the router can not stay connected at the speed is stayed at in the morning.

So my advice, take it or leave it, is to connect your router at night during the noisey periods, this way you are not fooling yourself or the router or BT into thinking your line can run at a higher stable speed.

Alternatively, if you want to fool only yourself, connect the router for a few minutes each morning for 3 days and leave it off for the rest of the day then your MSR will raise.

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed