cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stable_Rate = 1500 but Connection = 5088Kbps

N/A

Since I was upgraded to MAX a few weeks ago I have enjoed a rock solid connection that varies between 4700 and 5300.

My problem is that every now and again my router reconnects at something stupid like 2200, even though the SNR goes up to around 18 when it does this. A quick reboot and it's back to normal.

Unfortunately, the PlusNet Stable_Rate gets pushed down to 1500 and it doesn't like going back up as much as it likes falling back down again. I've had my connection restricted by the PlusNet stable_rate thing for at least a week now I think.

It's really frustrating. Is there no way that a minimum stable_rate of 4500 can be set for my account?

Anyone else got this problem?

Simon.
21 REPLIES
N/A

How can you see what your stable rate is? I used to get 6-7mb when first upgraded, but these days I rarely get 3-4mb Sad
N/A

https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=stable_rate

Merry xmas :lol:

Moderators note by John (johnessex) Full quote of preceding post removed as per the Link:rules
N/A

Your current broadband speed is 8000 Kbps

Cheesy
N/A

Which means you either have a good line, or are currently provisioned on an up to 8Mb account and not yet actually been maxed.
N/A

I've never had an email telling me I've been upgraded, but since I've had speeds of 6.7mbs, I'm assuming I have a good line. Which is weird, given that if the exchange is where it claims to be (Hooton), I'm miles away!! Cheesy
N/A

@ riverbankway

LOL thats the marvel of PlusNet/BT

I got upgraded in april and had a rock solid connection for 2 month then it all went down hill after that. Line noise just springs up from nowhere send the SNR silly, like today yet again upstream affected.

They all do it on purpose believe me. They giggle as they fiddle.

They are the New World Order of high speed connections in this case MaxAdsl.

By the way, PlusNet current speed page means jack all...
Your High-speed Broadband Service

Your current broadband speed is 8000 Kbps

LOL router won't go above 5. something as apposed to april it was always on 8127 or whatever it is for above 2 months..

They are there just to fool with your/our emoitions.
essenby
Grafter

You really shoud think yourself lucky! Ok - you have an issue which you're not happy with - but at least you know hoe to fix it. Re-boot the router, simple!

Some people (i.e. me) would kill for a 2 meg connection. I can see my exchange, it's about 2 miles away but I can see it. My router synchs at 2-2,5 Mb but my actua speed, that is another story. If there is a problem with my line, or contention at the exchange or any other excuse you can think of, can anyobe PLEASE explain why my upload speed (448K) is MORE than my download speed (160K)? I was better off on dial up!

Like I said, if I knew who wass responsible, and I thought it would help - I'd kill him!
N/A

Rebooting the router doesn't take it above what i've already stated and yet again uploaded speed being fiddled with this morning.

essenby, i hate to say this but erm create a ticket and tell them you know what they're upto and sit back and wait 3 month for a reply.
N/A

Which means you either have a good line, or are currently provisioned on an up to 8Mb account and not yet actually been maxed.

Or you are on a LLU connection, which has a permanent stable speed of 8000. Download speed is just your sync speed. Stable speed doesn't change regardless.
N/A

Or you are on a LLU connection, which has a permanent stable speed of 8000. Download speed is just your sync speed. Stable speed doesn't change regardless.

I'm pretty sure I'm not on LLU (someone elsewhere posted a way to tell - think it was the synch speed being above some magic number, and mine is exactly that magic number).

However, I did transfer my phone to Plusnet, which I was under the impression I couldn't do with LLU, but it seems to have happened! Smiley
essenby
Grafter

. . essenby, i hate to say this but erm create a ticket . .

I do have a ticket raised and yes it has been 3 months now (you must be psychic!). BT have been to the house twice (the last time for over 4 hours) only to tell me that there is no problem with my house wiring.

But my download speed is STILL less than my upload speed.
lhorwath
Grafter

Hi there,

I have asked one of our senior faults analysts to look into this for you. We are fairly convinced it is not an issue our side, but would like to dial test as you to be 100% sure. More info is on the open question.

It looks like BT have changed a card in the exchange and believe they have fixed the problem, but as you have posted here this morning, that it obviously has not fixed it, so we have passed it back to BT. They may want to send another engineer out.
James
Grafter

Hi Simon,

It's not actually us that's been limiting your connection speed. It's actually BT and their lovely bRAS system.

2006-09-04 10:04:38 - 4000
2006-08-30 11:22:16 - 1500
2006-08-27 02:24:14 - 4500
2006-08-21 10:58:42 - 2500

And so on. This is where our stable rate changes in relation to the speed that BT are profiling you at. The drops in speed will often relate to a rogue low sync event, which causes your bRAS to drop within 90 minutes, but will take upto 3 (apparently) days to pick up again.
N/A

This is where our stable rate changes in relation to the speed that BT are profiling you at. The drops in speed will often relate to a rogue low sync event, which causes your bRAS to drop within 90 minutes, but will take upto 3 (apparently) days to pick up again.

If thats the case then James, how come on PN's stable rate, im on 8000 but i cannot achieve more than 5700 through the router? Why has the BRAS limited me to 5700 but my stable rate via PN is 8k lol

Suggest you poke a BT employer in his or her eye and get them to reset my BRAS back to what it was a couple of month ago 7500 rock solid.