cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SquirrelMail : Do you dig it?

Liam
Grafter

Following the Webmail Incident in May, we withdrew our @mail Webmail solution and implemented SquirrelMail as a temporary solution. We recently began the process of reviewing alternative Webmail applications and in our investigation into many of them we were led back to thoughts of “Squirrelmail can do this, Squirrelmail does that better” etc…

So, we’ve been scratching our heads. We know that SquirrelMail doesn’t exactly look fantastic, but it certainly is a great performing, powerful Webmail client. It does what it says on the tin and it’s fairly easy to use too (albeit with its little kinks). The ability to change the theme and display preferences make it bearable with regards to looks also. In fact, many customers have commented on how refreshing SquirrelMail is to use.

With that in mind, we’d like to see what you guys think – in general. Now, we know we can’t please everyone without offering every Webmail client under the sun – and that certainly isn’t possible. What we would like to do is provide a Webmail service that meets the needs of our customers, performs well, is scaleable, functional and, above all, is secure.

What we want to know then, is - should we consider keeping SquirrelMail going forwards? What would you guys need to make SquirrelMail work for you? What functionality is lacking? What ‘extras’ would you like? How could we improve it? Do you like SquirrelMail? Do you really dislike SquirrelMail, if so - why? Should we dismiss it entirely? Do we need to make it look nicer? Is a nice ‘skin’ all it needs?

Now, this is not a decision to stick with SquirrelMail. Nor is it a “U-turn” on what we’ve previously said. As I’ve said above, we’re looking at all the options available to us, and having used SquirrelMail for a couple of months we’ve seen it as a real strong contender amongst Webmail clients… and one that could provide us with a permanent solution going forward. We just want to get you guys involved and see what you think.

Comments appreciated... :-)
19 REPLIES
spinecho
Grafter

Hi

Can a list of compatible webmail solutions be added so we can have a look at their websites and give you our opinion.

Francis
fotobits
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I like the simplicity and speed of operation. An essential ingredient of a webmail service.

Regards.......Noel
Community Veteran

It could be improved if Delete meant Delete and not move to the Trash bin.

I'm fed up with deleting items twice.
fotobits
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Yes, I find that a nuisance. Perhaps, like mail client s/w the Trash could optionally clear on sign-out.

Regards....Noel
Nick_Russell
Grafter

Re: SquirrelMail : Do you dig it?

We recently began the process of reviewing alternative Webmail applications...

What about the webmail system BT Openworld use? It's very easy to use and has great functionally. Looks and works a bit like Hotmail but you can collect other POP3 accounts as well as your BT Openworld account. I use it to view my BT and PlusNet accounts when travelling and when at work. Great Spam protection by the way!
BoneMan
Grafter

Yes, I find that a nuisance. Perhaps, like mail client s/w the Trash could optionally clear on sign-out.

It could be improved if Delete meant Delete and not move to the Trash bin.

I'm fed up with deleting items twice.

Guys,
You can fix this yourself. Go in SquirrelMail, Select Options | Folder Options; under Trash Folder, select [Do not use Trash]; click Submit and your Dad's brother is Robert Wink

Regards,

Ray.
N/A

I find Squirrel clunky and awkward. It would be even worse if I hadn't got rid of all but one of my mailboxes (preparatory to moving away from PlusNet).

The host for my new independent domain provides DW Mail (www.dwmail.net ) which, while their latest implementation is on a per-mailbox basis, allows direct entry via mailbox@domainname + password. It's then possible to 'delete all' with a simple Yes/No confirmation after which the folder is totally cleared. (It's possible to deal with items individually as well of course).

Added to that the whole interface of the package looks good with several different skins available to the host.
Community Veteran

I didn't really use the previous webmail and only use Squirrel to check if anything has accidentally ended up in the spam folder and to delete any spam that hasn't been picked up by the filter.

But, it's much quicker than the old webmail so only takes a few minutes to sort out all our email addresses, esp since I've turned off the catchall to the default and changed where the postmaster alias points.

It would be nice if it could be integrated into a 'proper' PlusNet portal page so you could navigate back to whichever page you want rather than just the Welcome page.
Plusnet user since November 2003
Currently on Unlimited Fibre Extra and Unlimited UK & Mobile Calls
grimme
Grafter

I use the same webmail interface with another ISP mail, on their version I also have a Mail Filtering tool that I define so that for example: mail coming in with certain words can be moved automatically to the Trash folder.

Is this something that PlusNet could add if they kept the SquirrelMail?
Community Veteran

raycar:

Thanks for posting that very useful piece of information. Saved me a lot of time and effort. Much obliged.
alanPN
Grafter

Seems generally fine to me, but two issues:

The non DDA compliant captcha image which was supposed to be sorted out weeks ago but is still outstanding.

The forward spam/notspam buttoms where your QC people don't seem to have any sense of urgency at all.
mapletree
Grafter

SquirrelMail seems OK to me, but then I am not a big webmail user. If it is simple then I would guess it is more easy to keep secure than a more complex app. I hope that SM does not store unnecessary email addresses in a database anywhere like @Mail did.

I'm not a fan of "skins". I really don't care what the colour of the UI is. I am only concerned on whether it works.

The spam/not spam buttons will be useful (any ETA for these?)

M
Community Veteran

The spam/not spam buttons will be useful (any ETA for these?)

Echoed from here! They will save a lot of time.
Plusnet user since November 2003
Currently on Unlimited Fibre Extra and Unlimited UK & Mobile Calls
octafish
Grafter

Squirrel Mail is a huge improvement over the previous @Mail system. It's fast and reliable and does everything you'd want out of webmail. I was able to clear hundreds of emails (and spam)on my pda whilst in Spain recently. Couldn't access the old system on my pda so don't want @Mail back!

If you were a big webmail fan you'd primarily use GMail, Live Mail or whatever but as POP3 user Squirrel is the all I really want from webmail related to PlusNet POP3.

I couldn't care less that it looks a bit basic.