cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speeeeeed - man this is S L O W is this a record?

N/A

I have been very patient, I have put up with a lot of problems and issues but enough is enough.

I do NOT want to leave, I want to sort this problem out once and for all.

Considering all the KWAAP I have put up with I think they should give me a medal, yesterday my speed was up and down like a yoyo with every page showing a delay on loading, sometimes up to 20 seconds per page

Watching the speedtest meter explains a lot, even when it averages at 1.3mb or higher it spends a load of time at 56k. It feels like a DNS resolution problem, there is a long delay and then

Today it is at an all time low:

384k! Is this an all time record?

For me it seems that the bath is overflowing and nobody is turning off the tap.

There is no point complaining to Plusnet without a proposition. So can anyone tell me if there is a way to go back to the 2mb service? How long does it take, has anyone done it, has it improved?

I am not a big downloader, I just want a fast reliable service for browsing, email.

Can anyone please make a sensible suggestion, of how to fix this.

Also how do I confirm it is BT?
9 REPLIES
N/A

Hi there,

Also how do I confirm it is BT?

Details on using the BT Speedtester can be found here

http://usertools.plus.net/tutorials/id/27
Community Veteran

The new one http://speedtester.bt.com/ also tells you what profile BT have 'limited' you to.

SW
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
pushbikes-uk
Grafter

My speed is crawling along to but i am on LLU and the speedtester wont work for me !

Her is my speedtest result

Not quite as bad as yours but little better than dial up. When is someone going to fix this problem??!!
N/A

Now I am getting REALLY frustrated.

After wasting time changing the login details and rebooting everything in site etc etc. I run the test and it fails.

the error I get is

"System Error Image not loaded

Only TAP1 tests are enabled.
Please login as tap1 user.

Please wait while you are redirected.."

It then reloads the page without a phone number.

I do not have my own DNS and I checked the DNS post entering the BT details and they were different from Plusnet as was my IP address. Also as expected the BT page was the only one that would load.

What Now!
N/A

My speed is crawling along to but i am on LLU and the speedtester wont work for me! When is someone going to fix this problem??!!

Does the BT Speedtester work for non BT kit?

What this does suggest is that PLUSNET is at fault if you and I are connected differently.

Considering I get this looooonnnnnggggg pause and then a page loads quickly, I think the problem is with resolution or a blockage somewhere.
StuWard
Grafter

Well I've gone from 1360 (which i was happy with)

to this

Which erm i'm not

Stu
N/A

ibc01
How do I find if I'm on BT

One less than scientific way is to look at your Up Stream speed on your routers stats, if it's 448kB/p then you can assume your on BT. If it's higher then it's likely your on LLU, unless you have business package and that then throws a spanner in the works.

ibc01
Does the BT Speedtester work for non BT kit?

If you mean "Does the BT Speed test work for only BT branded routers/modems", no it works for any BT connected customer (Max or IPStream).

If you mean "Does the BT Speed test work for LLU-Tiscali connected customers", then no it does not. You'll need to run the Tiscali speed test. (can't find link atm - I'll try and find it)
N/A

Perhaps you will have more luck in trying the above tests.

Plusnet have now responded to my ticket, they asked me to do 3 of the above tests which would be fine if I could, but as shown above I can't.

They said

"You should also be performing regular disconnects of your service over a 3 day period to try and force the device to gain sync at higher speeds.

if the device syncs higher for a 3 day period you should then see faster throughput."

I don't know if regularly means every hour or several times a day.

They did not explain what "sync"ing or whether this will solve the problem in the long term.

It is better today but it has been up and down like a yoyo for months.

This resynching sound like when people tell you to reboot a server rather than identifying the service or process that is causing the problem. All it does it put if off for a while, what we need is to understand what causes the problem if we are to fix it.

So much for an "always on" connection.

1360 is not really acceptable is it, if you were on a 2mb line before you might be better off switching back to it.
StuWard
Grafter

I was on 1 meg max before, i live miles away from my exchange

It looks as though i am topping out at 1.6 meg now, furing the "sorting" phase i was up to about 2.6 meg

Stu