Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speedtest and Bittorrent

thehatman
Grafter

Speedtest and Bittorrent

On Plusnet's new speed test I get this:

6389 kbps (798.6 KB/s) 382 kbps (47.8 KB/s)

Which is good enough I think (I'm on PAYG). Similar results at BBMax Speedtest.

What I want to know is when I'm downloading torrents (whether a few or many and well-seeded) I never get a download speed of over 400KB/s. Usually about 300-350 maximum in fact.

How can I get this to increase and what would prevent it taking the full download capacity?

The old PN speedtest page always gives me a lower result (just now: "download at 382.51 KB/sec from our servers"). If this is true it would tally with my BitTorent speeds but seems low for an 8MB connection.

Which is the right figure and how can I max out BitTorrent?
10 REPLIES
bikepump
Grafter

Speedtest and Bittorrent

tbh mate, i use utorrent - much simpler and supposedly faster

test for ports, but to me, your speeds don't seem hurrendously slow - and like you said it all depends on seeds with torrents.

bikepump
thehatman
Grafter

Speedtest and Bittorrent

Speeds aren't exactly slow but there is wasted capacity.

What could I do to utilise it? What might I have set wrong maybe?
N/A

Re: Speedtest and Bittorrent

Is your question why isn't the 400 KB/s you are able to download with lower than the 6389 kbps the speedtester is reporting?

If so then you're getting a bit confused with your units.

In this country MaxDSL broadband is usually sold as "Up to 8mbps", or eight megabits. What many users assume however is that this means eight MegaBytes (MB).

Bytes (B) are composed of eight bits (b) and are "base2" numbers. Therefore one KiloByte is 1024 Bytes and a MegaByte is 1024 kiloBytes.

bits (b) are "base10" numbers, the same number system you use to count every day, so one kilobit is 1000 bits, and a megabit 1000 kilobits.

Taking these two facts together, the difference between 1mb (megabit) and 1MB (MegaByte) is huge. A megabit is 1000 x 1000 = 1,000,000 bits. A MegaByte however is 1024 x 1024 Bytes, or 8,388,608 bits.

If you find it difficult to remember the different symbols used for each, Bytes are usually used for storage (hard disks, flash drives, CD's etc.) and bits for data transfer (networking).
N/A

Re: Speedtest and Bittorrent

Is your question why isn't the 400 KB/s you are able to download with lower than the 6389 kbps the speedtester is reporting?

No, he's asking why the speed test states he should be getting 798KB/s and yet he is only getting 400KB/s. He clearly stated the KB/s figures in brackets so I'm guessing he does understand the terminology.
N/A

Speedtest and Bittorrent

That being the case I suspect it's something to do with traffic management- the speedtester will be downloading via http (gold traffic) and bittorrent is classed as silver or bronze depending on the account type.

PlusNet prioritise "interactive" traffic on their network on the basis that most people don't mind leaving their P2P running overnight whereas people who are streaming video or listening to music won't want it to have to rebuffer every few seconds. Similarly gaming is prioritised as lag makes it unplayable (freezing in combat invariably leads to death).

If you want something closer to line speed then try downloading overnight when exchange contention is lower and PN central capacity has less priority traffic running.

Switching to a PAYG account will mean your traffic isn't prioritised at any time as you get exactly what you pay for. See here.

Also worth noting that it really doesn't matter how fast your line speed is if your source isn't able to keep up- some usenet clients are limited to 14kbps for example and there is nothing he or anyone else can do about it if that is the case.
Zathras
Grafter

Speedtest and Bittorrent

hes already on PAYG Cheesy
N/A

Speedtest and Bittorrent

Shockedops:
gswindale
Grafter

Speedtest and Bittorrent

With Torrents there are a lot of factors that can influence the d/l speed other than PlusNet's (dodgy) traffic shaping. In uTorrent, you can look at the peers and see what speeds everyone else is d/l at. If there are only a couple of seeds and many downloaders, then that can have an effect. Even if there are many seeds, if they're limiting their upload rate, then you could still see a poor download speed at your end.
N/A

Speedtest and Bittorrent

Damn i was going to say that !.
Yep you can have a well seeded torrent but poor download speeds or you can have a poor seeded one but those few seeders could have mega upload speeds.

Swings and Roundabouts tbh.
N/A

Speedtest and Bittorrent

i admit i don't know what i am talkin about but i looked into this and a lot of it depends on how many connections your config can support i changed somethin in my xp config to increase the amount of people i could connect to at once do a google search on it you'll find somethin p.s. i did state i don't konw what i'm talkin about but whatever i did worked for me