cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speeds gone downhill again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

N/A

Just tried the various speed tests and lo and behold its rubbish.....

906.50kbps on a 2mb premier account....
Joke or what?
Just tried it again.....lmfao

847.70kbps
Come on PN pull your fingers outta ur bleeps and sort this out. Nothing but trouble since I joined month and half ago. I've let it go until now.
12 REPLIES
N/A

Not as bad as mine :shock: 2mbit Premier also.

11-08-2005 22:51:54 182.9
N/A

Ohhhhhh look,i just had a little moan and all of a sudden its upto.

1.82 Mbps
N/A

Hate to out do u guys but.....

I've had a speed test of 0kbs this evening!

just getting 103kbs as we speak......

This stinks!
N/A

slow would be an improvement

Since the so called 'upgrade' my speed is rubbish. I reckon the speeds equal to a dial up connection with all the benefits of paying for broadband.
This needs to be sorted pronto or Im off
N/A

For those of you encountering speed issues post the results of a couple of BT Speed tests.

This will identify where the problem lies.
N/A

As I have said in another topic last evening I had several BT speed tests that didn't even finish! Timed out!

So I have to assume the problem is BT's (at this stage), the fact remains however that my contract is with Plus Net, I have no relationship with BT. I logged a ticket for this on wednesday and as yet have not had a reply!
Alecto
Grafter

It does seem to be related to time of day.

I normally get good speed test results, but if I try late evening - say 8 pm, I often only get 1Mb on my 2Mb line. I assume this is to be expected as everybody is home from work and playing games/downloading or whatever they do.

I suspect it's not reasonable to expect 2Mb download speeds at all times of the day and night.
MrToast
Grafter

Now that everyones line speed is being upgraded towards 2Mbps we may find more of this.

We don't know what the actual (as oposed to contractual) contention ratio is at our respective BT exchanges. BT may have been over providing in many cases. They may not have increased network capacity tothe exchanges by the same factor as line speeds (if at all) so long as they remain within the contrctual provision of 50:1 or 20:1 (whichever service you are on).
simonh
Grafter

It does seem to be related to time of day.

I normally get good speed test results, but if I try late evening - say 8 pm, I often only get 1Mb on my 2Mb line

Funny that, for the past week or so my connection has been dropping out at around the same. Sometimes it loses sync completely, and I can't get back on for a couple of hours. I'm holding off raising a ticket because my dad (a BT engineer) is doing some work on my sockets at the weekend (good filters, new faceplates etc.) so that might sort it out. If not, I'll raise a ticket.
N/A

We don't know what the actual (as oposed to contractual) contention ratio is at our respective BT exchanges. BT may have been over providing in many cases.

I think you're right there! I'm on a very quiet exchange, 1 DSLAM, 400 premises with only a fraction of them likely to be on broadband, no businesses, and generally sheep outnumber people by 10:1 (at least!). As a result, my speeds have been spot-on and perfectly stable before and after the 2Mb upgrade.

We're sometimes too quick to blame the ISP for things that are completely outside their control. A pity we're not able to contact BTwholesale directly to find out the state of the lines locally, that may answer a lot of questions!
JJ
Grafter

Just did a speed test

0 Mbps

Tried again

78.527Mbps !!!!!

Then remembered to turn off Norton Internet Security Shockedops:

got the more normal (for me) 9pm speed of 1.85Mbps.

2M premier 20:1 BT and 30:1 plusnet.........probably

JohnH.
N/A

Downstream 1876 Kbps (234.5 KB/sec) 2026 Kbps (inc. overheads)
Upstream 242 Kbps (30.3 KB/sec) 261 Kbps (inc. overheads)

According to ADSL Guide