N/A

Speed, upgrade, local loop Q`s

Would appreciate some help/advice.

At the moment i seem to be stuck on 1mb due to these line stats:

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 1152 kbps 288 kbps
Line Attenuation 48 db 31.5 db
Noise Margin 27 db 28 db

I dont know if BT has attempted the free speed upgrade although seems doubtful with my stats.
I read on here a while ago Plusnet is going down the Local Loop Unbundling route but have heard nothing since.
My exchange is already unbundled by Easynet and according to UK Online i could potentially get between 3 and 4mb with my stats.

I guess my question is are Plusnet going to actually do llu or just talk about it.

Im not trying to start another mad flaming session but am seriously looking at changing isp after christmas unless something positive happens.
9 REPLIES
Community Veteran

as stated in the Vision 2006 update :

We now have more than 350 customers receiving speeds of up to 8Mbps using BT’s wholesale services. In the next few weeks we’ll also be running trials of Tiscali and Easynet’s wholesale broadband services which will mean we can start to offer speeds at up to 24Mbps. As higher speeds become standard in April 2006 we plan to make these available as standard on an ongoing basis. We’ll be making more details of this available in January. Where customers on relevant 4Mb and 8Mb accounts aren’t able to receive up to 4Mb and up to 8Mb speeds due to their line conditions, they’ll be able to claim a refund, as higher speeds are made available in their area. We will refund customers the difference between their current service rental price and a lower priced service with budgeted bandwidth that matches their usage levels, back to when they upgraded to that service, or when it was provided to them. It has taken considerably longer than originally expected to make higher speeds available. As they are available we’ll be able to ensure that customers are on the correct product for their budgeted usage and receive the highest speeds available.

I assume that since you are already on LLU by easynet that you wil lbe receiving details from plusnet in a few weeks about it, good luck and I cant wait for easynet to LLU my exchange, we only have bulldog right now Sad
N/A

Hmm thanks for the reply, got some thinking to do. Is the April 2006 date a solid target or is Plusnet being a tad enthusiastic again Cheesy

[Moderator's note by Mark (pcsni): Full quote of the preceeding post removed as it is unnecessary]
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

April 2006 is the provisional date we've been given by BT Wholesale for the national rollout of DSL Max.
N/A

Hi there, thanks for the reply but im mainly concerned with the local loop unbundling side of things, as it seems to me that if i stick with BT i will be stuck with their conservative limits.
Cheers

Moderators note by John (johnessex) Full quote of preceding post removed as per the Link:rules
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Both DSL Max and LLU will allow your line to sync at the maximum speed it is capable of (up to a set max - 8Mbps on DSL Max, 24Mbps on ADSL2+ via LLU) so the existing limits will be no more regardless of the wholesale provider once the trials are complete.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

I don't think hat is quite correct as MaxDSL aims to provide the maximum stable speed your line will support. I seem to remember that one limiting factor is the noise margin which should be above 6dB. It would be worth looking at this thread for more information.
N/A

Both DSL Max and LLU will allow your line to sync at the maximum speed it is capable of (up to a set max - 8Mbps on DSL Max, 24Mbps on ADSL2+ via LLU) so the existing limits will be no more regardless of the wholesale provider once the trials are complete.

Thanks for the info
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

April 2006 is the provisional date we've been given by BT Wholesale for the national rollout of DSL Max.

Everything I've seen says April for the start of the rollout. If BT just "flick a switch" so that all ADSL enabled exchanges have 8MB available in April as PN have previously claimed I'd be very surprised.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Well that's what our account manager tells us and he should know. The start of the rollout actually began on 30th November with the first 25 exchanges, the next 28 are due in a couple of weeks.