cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed today has been absolutely appalling

N/A

Yesterday, everything was fine. Today in bursts it has been fine. But for the majority of the day it's been like being connected with a 300 baud acoustic coupler rather than a 1Mb broadband link.

With some sites, it is taking several minutes to get a page back. Other pages come back instantly.

I've run the connection speed test 4 times in the last few minutes - the speeds reported were 0, 0, 131Mb, and 0. I'm willing to wager a considerable amount that all 4 of these are false numbers, but the real figure is a bloody sight closer to 0 than to 131 Mb!

Is anyone else getting this problem, or just me? I'm on LWHARR exchange, FWIW
14 REPLIES
N/A

Have you tried running the BT Speed Test? It'd help narrow down whether the problem is with PlusNet, or with BT / your line and exchange.
N/A

broadband speeds

I'm with you on this one. My speeds used to be around the 900+ mark but since the 22nd August I have achieved no better that 500. I couldnt understand why as I have not made any alterations to any settings. I contacted PLUSNET who sent me a helpful email. One suggestion was to connect direct to the BT server to test the line which meant altering your dial up / connection settings which I didnt fancy doing. I did however run the antivirus programme link and a couple of viruses were found, even though I run windows firewall and Norton Antivirus!. Once deleted my speeds improved significantly. However today I reached the mindblowing speed of 58kbps. What is that all about? I ran the test several times and average somewhere between 120 and 250kbps. The antivirus has not found anything this time so I am a little stumped as to what to do next.
N/A

I thought Plusnet were upgrading everyone to 2m/bit for free?. Still, it's nice to have 1m/bit upgrade for free.
N/A

PN paid BT to upgrade all customers to the fastest speed their line can cope with so some unlucky people will be stuck at 512, some will get the full 2mb...
N/A

When did this happen? Only last month I paid plusnet an extra £14.99 as my 2mb line had been activated as a 1mb, to get it running at 2mb.

Any chance of a refund Wink
N/A

I'm still having crappy speeds now..

Downloading from Microsoft at 10Kb/s on a 2Mbps line O_O
N/A

Not exactly

PN paid BT to upgrade all customers to the fastest speed their line can cope with so some unlucky people will be stuck at 512, some will get the full 2mb...

Not exactly, BT have ungraded all wholesale lines meaning that you can get whatever speed your line can cope with. Plus had nothing to do with it except for waiving the opportunity to charge extra as some ISP's have (good for them).

Jay
N/A

meh

Hi new customer here. Was with pipex until they told me they were going to "manage" my connection. So much for unlimited. Anyway, on that I was at 1MB. I am now on 2MB on plusnet, and so far have been getting lower speeds than the 1MB connection.

This is unacceptable. Good job its just a one month contract. There are 4 other isps I have now scoped out that offer UNLIMITED downloads, no traffic shaping etc. 2MB for £25. A bit more than this isp, but worth it for a good speed and unlimited downloads. I'll give plusnet a few more weeks, and if I am not happy i'll wave bye bye.

And from what I have seen from posts on here and other sites... plusnet will be waving bye bye to its buisiness.
N/A

My downloads are terribly slow this weekend too! Been very happy with plusnet until this weekend when everything from DNS lookups to download time outs started occuring. Sad

BT told me I could get 2m/bit, yet they've upgraded me to 1m/bit :roll: Strange.
N/A

Same speed issues here - I've had a ticket open since last Wednesday, I've performed half-a-dozen BT Speedtests, with results ranging from 38Kbps to one (at 1:00am Saturday night/Sunday morning) which peaked at 1900+ Kbps (a perfectly acceptable figure).

It's improved noticeably in the past 30 mins ...

Customer service have intimated that this might be a BT line fault but I can't get any idea of how long this can take to resolve if indeed that turns out to be true.

Any ideas on likely timescales will be much appreciated.

Thanks

Jeremy
N/A

speed is crap now not even getting over 100kb/s
N/A

Are you sure it's not your exchange? I've had no problems all night, and I've just done a PN speedtest, and it says 1470 kbps. Not 2Mb, but still perfectly acceptable.
N/A

Re: Not exactly

Not exactly, BT have ungraded all wholesale lines meaning that you can get whatever speed your line can cope with. Plus had nothing to do with it except for waiving the opportunity to charge extra as some ISP's have (good for them).

Actually, PN *did* pay - somewhere in the region of £500k I seem to remember. If you do a search of the boards you'll find info posted by the PN staffers about it.
N/A

I'm half a mile from my BT exchange. F2S, Easynet and Bulldog all offer me 8Mb on my line yet I'm stuck at 2Mb here for God knows how long yet.

I'd take all this tentative upgrade talk with a pinch of salt. We're in September soon.