cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed tests

waldron
Grafter

Speed tests

Whenever I run a Speed Test, the first result is usually 0.00kbps.
I have to Retest to get a meaningful result.
Today's results are 977.30kbps, 854.00kbps and 1.02Mbps.
I am on BB+ up to 8Mb with a 2Mb line.
Is this normal, or a fore-taste of things to come?
7 REPLIES
Dizzley
Grafter

Speed tests

It looks like you are only getting 1Mb. How far are you from the exchange? What is the noise margin like on your connection? I would guess it's what your line can stand and nothing to do with PlusNet.

This page gives a guesstimate of the speed you might get: http://www.dslzoneuk.net/checker.php. They have a speed test too at http://www.dslzoneuk.net/speedtest.php.

Weirdly enough - i just started getting test results of around 23.5 Mbit from the PN speed test. Other test pages give a more believable 1.85Mb.

Commiserations,
Pete
N/A

Speed tests

Is this with PlusNet's speed tester? Fi so it looks like it's not working properly, you shouldn't get a 0 reading on a first run. There are some known issues with Norton Internet Security/Firewall and some other software which can interfere with the speedtest. Are you running anything like this? If so, have you tried the tests without them?
waldron
Grafter

Speed tests

Is this with PlusNet's speed tester? Fi so it looks like it's not working properly, you shouldn't get a 0 reading on a first run. There are some known issues with Norton Internet Security/Firewall and some other software which can interfere with the speedtest. Are you running anything like this? If so, have you tried the tests without them?

Yes it is with the PN speed tester - and for the last week or so I always get 0 on the first attempt. I moved from PAYG to BB+ up to 8Mb on 5 April. Prior to that the speed was normally around 1.8 to 1.9. Now I am on BB+ I am getting these results, although a test five minutes ago was up to 1.76.
waldron
Grafter

Speed tests

It looks like you are only getting 1Mb. How far are you from the exchange? What is the noise margin like on your connection? I would guess it's what your line can stand and nothing to do with PlusNet.
Pete

The site says I am 960 metres from the exchange. As I said above I used to get decent results (apart from the 0.00, which doesn't make sense).
N/A

Speed tests

what site tells you the distance from the exchangeHuhHuh?
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Speed tests

Hi,

I see a zero figure every now again from people. I don't think there's a 100% definate reason for it, but most common reason is a firewall. Don't know a firewall is the cause, but it does seem to be more common than anything else.
waldron
Grafter

Speed tests

what site tells you the distance from the exchangeHuhHuh?

http://www.dslzoneuk.net/checker.php if you enter phone number and postcode