cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed tester result is a lot lower than synch speed

N/A

I am actually surprised and pleased with ADSL max. My fixed (wont support more than 512Kbps) line has just been upgraded and now is synching at 2840Kbps. My download rates have jumped up to, but never exceed, 950Kbps.

When I run the speed tester it always uses a file size of 1.24MB and shows a speed just shy of 950Kbps. I guess this is some sort of network limit similar to a 1Mbps service, but as my line synchs (and is stable) at 2840, I would like to be able to download closer to 2MB.

I have raised a ticket but, as evryone knows, this takes ages for a reply. Anyone got any ideas please?
Julian
11 REPLIES
N/A

Speed testers can be somewhat unreliable at times, have you tried just doing an actual download, a very good torrent might be a good suggestion to try.
N/A

check:

your stable rate
alternative speed tests (eg. adslguide)
bt speed tests (requires you to change your login, but removes plusnet from the equation)

Also, don't forget adsl max requires an initial 10 days to stabilise your connection, and 3 days after each speed drop to find your stable speed.
N/A

Thanks. My service only seemed to go live on Monday / Tuesday (I didn't get told its on, I just noticed my router speed a lot higher!).
Just looked up about BRAS etc and that may explain it. On day one I had extensions plugged in, microfilters etc and synched at 1400 ish.
Now I've got the and cordless phone plugged into the BT test socket, a high quality RJ11 cable to router and all extensions disconnected - synch jumped to 2840!
Just proves what an effect the extensions etc had.
Am I correct in assuming that after a couple of days synching over 2000 that my BRAS profile will improve?Huh
N/A

After the initial 10 days, yes, but you'll need to power cycle your router on a daily basis to "prove" your connection is stable.
N/A

In theory yes it should improve in 3-10 days at least that is the THEORY, if it has not improved in 10 days might be worth raising a ticket, definately can't get much done until 10 days after the initial upgrade though as that is considered the training period.

As I say, I would recommend you just give it some time, at least you already have had some increase so it can't be all bad Wink You can check the rate BT has currently told PN your line is stable at by checking this page http://www.plus.net/my.html?action=stable_rate

Although if that page is higher than the speeds you are getting might suggest something else is wrong, could you also please give me your downstream SNR and Attenuatation figures maybe that is some kind of problem.
N/A

Thanks,
Tried the stable rate check, reports as 1000Kbps which is exactly what the speed tester is reporing (950kbps being about max given the overhead packets etc).
Router (BT Voyager 2100) shows following:

Line Mode G.dmt Line State Show Time
Latency Type Interleave Line Up Time 00:03:05:36
Line Coding Trellis Off Line Up Count 1

Statistics Downstream Upstream
Line Rate 2848 448
Noise Margin 5.1 dB 12.0 dB
Line Attenuation 55.0 dB 31.5 dB
Output Power 11.9 dBm 17.5 dBm

Yeah I know 5.1dB is a low noise margin but its stable, the reason line up time is only 3hrs is becaus I restarted the connection, not a disconnection.

Router more info shows :

Broadband Line Status

Statistics Downstream Upstream
Line Rate 2848 448
Noise Margin 4.9 12.0 dB
Line Attenuation 55.0 dB 31.5 dB
Output Power 11.9dBm 17.5 dBm
K (number of bytes in DMT frame) 90 15
R (number of check bytes in RS code word) 14 16
S (RS code word size in DMT frame) 2 8
D (interleaver depth) 8 2
Super Frames 665158 665156
Super Frame Errors 107 0
RS Words 22615403 5653826
RS Correctable Errors 729795 31
RS Uncorrectable Errors 409 0
HEC Errors 86 0
OCD Errors 0 0
LCD Errors 0 0
ES Errors 0 0

Hope that helps.
Julian
N/A

Just a few tips: Restarting the connection more than a few times a day is usually considered by BT's equipment as a faulty line.

Restart your router once per day to attempt to your stable speed to match somewhere close to your sync speed. After that, try not to disconnect at all.

The more disconnects, the lower the speed will go.

If you have thunderstorms/etc then it's best to unplug your router before it drops the connection.
timps
Grafter

Hi
I was reconnected to MAX after a house move on 08/08.
For 12 days i had speeds between 3250 / 5000 but had frequent disconnections in the early hours of the mornings
following 9 days of training 17/08 speeed dropped to between 2350 / 2770 with a short dip to to 1116 on 18/08. This remained constant up until evening of 21/08 (3/4 days) .... very very stable ... no disconnections
I thought "right that's me sorted"
No !! the evening of 21/08 speed drops to 480 where it has reamained consistently. i've gone through all the hoops ... no changes
the only stat i can get from my modem is syncing at between 3250 and 3800 since 17/08
Today PN have altered my stable rate from 8000 to 500
i may be thick but but why after a stable 4 days of around 2350 / 2770 would bt tell PN my line supports 500
explanations / remedies / whatever gratefully received.
i've raised a question on my speed drop 22/08 but no reply and i'm not holding my breath on that one

thanks
timps
N/A

Well things have improved a bit. Plusnet answered my ticket (shock horror) and have raised my max stable rate to 8000.
Immediately speed on the speed test jumped to around 1400kbps which I guess I cant complain at too much as my original speed was about 440 ish! 3 3.5 times increase is a good result.
It has now been a few days on adslmax and my router seems to be levelling out, not many disconnections (other than ones I cause) and speeds consistently above 2000. (lowest is 2440, highest at 2880).
My only complaint is that the speed will not go above 1400. Would imagine I should be seeing about 2000kbps given the overheads packet. Today the speed tester file size was 2.93MB suggesting that speed was up as normally its around 1.8MB but the speed still came out at 1400Kbps.
Anyone got any ideas? I have tried it at all sorts of times and its about the same all the time, sometimes slightly lower but never higher.

On the whole I would say my Max experience has been pretty good but would like to see best use of my new available synch speed.
N/A

If PN have changed your stable speed to 8000 kbps, then it suggests your now on LLU. In which case, join the club! Disconnections, slow transfers, etc are all port of the LLU experience.
N/A

Dont think they have, if you check out widegates exchange it does not shows llu as available