cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed test should ring an alarm in Sheffield if result low

N/A

The problem
Normally when I run PN's speed test, I get sent a 2 or 3 Mb file, which is judged appropriate for my connection speed. Yesterday I was sent files of only a few k and the test recorded a speed of 3.8kbps at its lowest. I assume that the file sent is based on a formula something like
constant * estimated speed
where constant is about 1.2. (I was just sent a 2.27Mb file for a speed of 1.88Mpps. Yesterday I was sent about 4.6kb for a speed of 0.0038Mbps.)
Proposed improvement:
If the speed test notices that the sent file is less than say 50k then an alarm should go off in the computer room at HQ and all available staff should find out why.
Reasoning:
If the target speed for a 2Mbps is about 1.84Mbps and the contention ratio is 50:1, the perceived speed at maximum contention would be 0.04Mbps and the size of file sent would be about 48kb. For someone like me on a Premier contention ratio of 30:1 ( Wink ) the alarm should send when the size of file sent reaches 75k or less. And certainly before reaching 5k!!!!!
This should ensure that PN know when someone has an extremely slow connection speed
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran

If you receive a small file just rerun the test thats what I do (the 2 times I have had that) and it fixes itself
N/A

Not so. The speed was truly low, like Freeserve dialup at its very worst. The small file sent was calculated on the basis of a poor connection. And yes, I have tried the other tests.
Added: Again an attempt to pretend there is no problem.
Added: Plusnet never replied to this suggestion. 26/01/06
N/A

The speed tester should only ever be taken as a rough guide - the way this one and all other testers work isn't the most reliable... as this little snip from my speed test results page shows:-

16-01-2006 21:02:47 12134.4
09-01-2006 20:47:35 1858.4
11-10-2005 21:47:21 1903.4
02-09-2005 22:12:51 1880.9

Given I'm on 2MB that 12134 result looks somewhat flawed Wink
N/A

You probably have a firewall installed, such as Kerio, which distorts the figures. I achieved speeds of 19Mbps on PN's test when using Kerio, but ADSLGuide gave the correct results. Stopping Kerio solved the problem too. The problem seems to be that when Kerio is running the fetching of the file starts before the timer starts ticking. Thus the timer stops ticking when the file is pretty well fetched.
I regularly see variations between 0.9Mbps and 1.9Mbps, but at 0.0048Mbps you feel the sluggishness!