cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed test: 26.4Kbps- Is this BROADBAND?

N/A

IS this Broad BAND?
18 REPLIES
James
Grafter

Where are you getting your speed results from? Can you please try rebooting and using these two speedtests:

http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk/
http://speedtester.bt.com/
N/A

This happened to me as well since this Monday!

the speed goes down to about 20-60kbps between 5pm-11pm!

I couldn't even surf http web page easily!

I am in Manchester. A lot of my friend suffered the same thing recently!
wheelnut
Grafter

Same for me. Service has been absolutely atrocious since Sunday night. Speedtest anywhere between 50 - 150kbps. Modem syncs at 8128kbps.

It is so bad that my login to PlusNet portal times out so I can't report the fault from home! Web surfing impossible, page loads although starting (so DNS ok) do not complete. Email and Usenet text just about tolerable.

I read somewhere PlusNet did a big reconfig. exercise over the weekend - with the number of reports on the forums I am sure there is a screw up somewhere with peoples profiles on the Ellacoyas - may be I am wrong but it sure feels that way.

Still waiting for a reply to my ticket.
N/A

I have had lots of speed problems too. Last weekend was hopeless. I went through all the CS help - done all their tests and then still nothing.

I get annoyed about this because the usual response is "it must be your equipment" or "its definitely the BT exchange".

The latter excuse being given to a friend of mine who keeps me sane by telling me its not just me with plusnet problems. For the record - he lives 20 miles away on another exchange in London.

My advise is keep rebooting and taking your connection out and plugging it back in. I think this finds another pipe which isn't blocked.

My sincere commiserations.
N/A

Unacceptable speeds

I too have experienced severe speed probs over the last 2 days. Speeds were 9-50 kbps. I raised a fault and did some speed tests as requested, after checking all other possibilities (virus/spyware/router fault/microfilters etc etc).
I did a speed test just after midnight and it was super-fast. Today I get an email from Plusnet which seems to imply that my service was being restricted by them because I have exceeded my download limit. They also closed the fault.

Maybe you guys are in the same position.
I have exceeded my limit on several occasions before this, but have never been resticted so severely as this. Like you, all web activity was impossible.

Plusnet did not indicate that there was a problem of any kind. I assume from this that I will be getting somewhere between 9 and 50 kbps for the rest of the month now.
They did tell me what my options were....
1. Upgrade
2. Switch ISP.
Guess which one I intend to do?
Evil Evil Evil
wheelnut
Grafter

Nope, I am on premier 1 and my peak usage so far this month is 4.8GB. They stick you on level 1 at 13GB so overuse is not the problem.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

Without looking at each case individually I can't give a 100% definate answer on every slow speed. As we can be sure of there are a number of different causes of slow speeds, such as exchange side contention or other external factors as well as the management on our network.

We constantly monitor the bandwidth on our network and analyse the patterns and see how that's being used. One of the factors we notice is that how the bandwidth is carved up, who uses what and when. We also look at what our customers are saying and some customers have been seeing reduced speeds, which I'm sure you're aware of from posts on here or other places.

Now we have to look at how the bandwidth is divided up, it should be fair and it should be within the product design of our products.

To digress for a second and just go over the product design. Each of our broadband products is designed around a certain amount of usage and a certain amount of bandwidth. These are figures where the service is designed around, because we know that everyone's usage is different that's

part of how the peak time usage allowances come about. They allow customers to use above the product design because we know that some customers will use below the product design with the usage at level 1, 2 and 3 management slowed down to ensure that those using these amounts don't

significantly impact on other customers.

The SUP on the other hand is there as a safety net for us, because even on level 3 management, at 512kbps you could still shift a sizeable amount of data at peak times.

So going back a bit as I say some customers have been reporting speed problems and if you look at the bandwidth graphs

http://www.plus.net/support/network_performance/broadband_packets_drop.shtml?supporta=networkpbroadb...

you'll see that some gold packets are being dropped.

Now there are a number of reasons behind this. Part of the problem is how platform is balanced right now and part that's down to background traffic and part other things. In the past month or so the number of customers online at peak has increased quite a bit, one reason will be that quite a

few customers have changed over from USB modems to routers so connected all the time rather than a few hours per day, part is the increase in background traffic meaning that idle timeouts don't work.

A 622Mbps pipe is split into 4 segments and each segment into 3 tunnels, each of these tunnels can connect up to 2,667 customers at any one time.

Part of the idea behind the idle timeouts is to disconnect customers that are idle so that the session isn't being used and the other part is to ensure you don't get into the situation where one tunnel is full of idle customers and another full of active.

Problem is that we're in a situation where some of the tunnels reach their limit and some are quite a way down, but without the right mix of idle and active customers some of tunnels see silver and gold drops. So for example there may be one tunnel which has 2,667 customers connected but very few idle so there's a bit of gold traffic dropped, whereas another tunnel may have 2,300 customers connected with a large proportion idle so no or only a little bronze traffic is dropped.

As I say there was another part to this which is where some customers are month in, month out using more than the product design.

When you plug in the figures, the cost of bandwidth comes out at about

Total GB can be downloaded on a 622 pipe is 622/8*60*60*24*365/1024 = 2,394,457GB
Cost of a 622Mbps pipe is £1,496,760 (ex VAT)

so the per GB cost is 1,496,760 / 2,394,457 = 62.5p

This though assumes that the pipes are evenly used across the day and night and that a peak time GB costs the same as an off peak GB.

So if you want to use say 20GB then you are looking at the cost being 62.5p x 20 + £8.40 for the port cost plus VAT and all the other costs (billing, infrastructure, staff, etc.), but even just the bandwidth, port and VAT comes to at least £24.56, probably more because bandwidth costs would actually work out higher at peak, so you can easily see that this is losing as money on a £21.99 account.

As a one off it isn't going to make any difference, it's where it's being repeated, and repeated month in month out where it has it's affect on the customer base.

The combined usage of these customers actually skews the bandwidth usage charts and impacts on other customers. Now we could just arbitrarily place restrictions on these customers or send them their MAC keys or do a number of other things, but we don't want to do that, we do need to protect

the network and ensure that everyone gets their fair share but we can do that without restricting individuals but ensuring the heaviest users only impact on other heavy users and not the customer base as a whole. Whilst the usage may be above what we actually designed the products to be it's

within the marketed peak time allowances.

So whilst we don't have any real problems as such with people using the products like this, the fact that people keep hitting the level 1, 2 and 3 amounts we would probably have thought they would have wanted to upgrade their account (for example from Plus to Premier, or to PAYG or from Premier option 1 to Premier option 2) because we would have though that these accounts would better suit their particular usage patterns, or, to be blunt and honest, in some cases would have moved to another ISP that may be better suited as we can't offer the level of usage that some customers require. We want customers to have the best Internet experience and I wouldn't have thought that hitting level 1/2/3 management each month would give these customers the best experience and being on a different account would be better than that.
N/A

Harsh punishment.

Dave
I'm OK with the concept of being penalised, and in the past the penalty has been a minor slowdown.
My usage is relatively light. For the last couple of days my punishment has been so severe (9kbps) that my service is now next to nothing, and cannot be used.
The response so far from Plusnet indicates that I can expect these penalties from now on. No promise of a fix or improvement has been made.
According to my usage stats today, I have reached the massive total of 3.79GB peak usage this month, which is still under your stated 4gb/Month that the product was designed for.
It all just seems so harsh. I didn't realise it would be like this when I signed up for the package, and there is no way the pre-sales blurb warned that I would be punished like this for getting close to the limit (as opposed to actually exceeding it). In fact I just looked - it still says 'no download limits'. Don't you have trouble sleeping at night knowing the truth behind that? It's like a car hire company saying 'drive as far as you like but after 100 miles your speed limit is 3mph'.
Your last posting goes into huge amounts of technical detail and I suppose it's possible that some of you rmore savvy Customers might even understand it. I work in IT but am a simple 'user' when it comes to broadband. What I have gathered from all this is that I can expect 9kbps from now on when I get near to exceeding my quota. Is this correct?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

How far in to the current month are you? What is your typical monthly usage 8am to midnight. You may consider PAYG where everything (P2P included) is Gold priority up to your chosen bandwidth. Go beyond you bandwidth and it's still Gold, but you pay an extra £1.80 for each 2GB or part thereof. Midnight to 8am is totally free.

Changing to PAYG
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Fixes: 115

davlaw2000, have you read the following thread Sudden & Dramatic Drop In Speed. It seems we share a common dispute.

If only PN had been more open and honest about these restrictions then we could have either changed our download patterns, upgraded or whatever other decision we wish to make.

Also, a working VMBU would be of great help!

Regards

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Re: Harsh punishment.

I'm OK with the concept of being penalised, and in the past the penalty has been a minor slowdown.

My usage is relatively light.

Those two things don't quite go together. What I'm saying is that if you are reaching the levels of hitting the peak time management then the usage isn't light for that particular product. The design of Broadband Plus gives a peak time usage allowance of 4GB and off peak 50GB. If your usage were to be regularly exceeding one or both of these figures then the product probably isn't the best one for your particular usage.

For the last couple of days my punishment has been so severe (9kbps) that my service is now next to nothing, and cannot be used.
The response so far from Plusnet indicates that I can expect these penalties from now on. No promise of a fix or improvement has been made.

The products as I say are all designed around certain amounts of usage and regularly going over what we designed it for probably means that product isn't the right product. The best option here would be to upgrade to a product, e.g. Premier or PAYG, that would be more suitable for you.

According to my usage stats today, I have reached the massive total of 3.79GB peak usage this month, which is still under your stated 4gb/Month that the product was designed for.

Two things. The first is that usage is about trible the average usage (at all times the day not just peak) of the vast majority of Broadband Plus customers. Second what's the usage like at peak in previous months.

As I say, if you are regularly hitting the level 1,2, or 3 levels then that product probably isn't the right product.

What I have gathered from all this is that I can expect 9kbps from now on when I get near to exceeding my quota. Is this correct?

The speeds are dependant on what other customers who are using the products outside of the product design are doing, the design of this should still give a reasonable performance but that depends on the customers and what they are doing. As I say the best option is to move to a product that is better suited to your level of usage.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

If only PN had been more open and honest about these restrictions then we could have either changed our download patterns, upgraded or whatever other decision we wish to make.

I'm not really sure what else we could do, each email that we send out when you hit level 1/2/3 management and the warning email al point to the upgrade page to upgrade to an account that is more suitable.

Also, a working VMBU would be of great help!

I'm not aware of any particular problems with VMBU right now, what sort of problems are you seeing?
Fixes: 115

Dave, I have been told that my usage over the last three months has far exceeded my 30GB allowance, yet my VMBU clearly showed this not to be the case. Rather than hog this thread with my issues can I resquest you read the thread Sudden & Dramatic Drop In Speed.

I would like to take issue with regard to your reply to davlaw2000.

The information within your pages How PlusNet guarantees quality broadband & Sustainable Usage Policy Guide lead us to a different scenario than you have painted.

In the first page regarding allowances at no point does it indicate that if you regularly go into Management Levels 1,2 or 3 you will be hammered so heavy as to make internet access unusable. In fact, the heaviest restrictions are to 'upto 512Kbps' till the next of the billing cycle during peak times, not a consistant 10kbps or less. Emails sent regarding these restrictions do not lead you to an obvious upgrade path.

In the second page you inform us that further restrictions to the 512Kbps would be invoked at 45GB (this is all for option 2) with a warning email sent at 36GB.

It is only at this point with restrictions being set at 128 for both peak and off peak is it pointed out that a possible upgrade path may be relevent. At no point before this is there any suggestion that we are using our connection above what it is designed for. In fact, for Option 2 we are lead to believe it is designed for up to 30GB peak-time downloads.

Can you see why I and others are so unhappy at being treated with such heavy restrictions when we have adhered to your product design as stipulated on these pages?

Regards

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

N/A

Firstly I take my hat off to Dtomlinson, who is continuously trying to answer honestly and in a forthright manor. Thank you, your efforts are very much appreciated.

I am a bit worried about this thread being pigeonholed into a "sustainable use" topic. That is simply not the case with myself. I have never received any emails on high usage or warnings or any description. I am on Broadband Premier 1 which I downgraded from Option 2 last year because I simply wasn't using the "unlimited" download limits. I was throwing money away. (I will leave the amount of grief this simple task was to another time.)

As I understand it the fair usage policy is 36Gb per month. For the last 3 months ( I can't check back any further) I have used 12Gb, 16Gb and 14Gb. All figures rounded up.

Any broadband speed issues therefore I conclude are not down to any proactive limiting of my usage via a fair usage policy.

Plainly put, the way I see it is its just an extremely hit and miss service at the moment possibly due to Plusnets poor forecasting of present/future consumer usage, and lack of provision to service such demand.

Am I anywhere near the mark? The purchase of a new 622 pipe seems to suggest as much.