cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed profiles, new lines and stuff!

Uncle_Meat
Grafter

Hi there! Well, following my house move (well done Plusnet for that, by the way, after BT fannying around with my line/details ect..) it's now been over 10 days, so I would expect my line to have stabilized and my IP profile to have raised from the default 2000Kbps which new accounts/lines seem to have until things have sorted themselves out.

Well, it has, sort of..

According to connection settings in My Account, my current speed profile is 7000Kbps.

According to the BT speedtester, my IP profile is still 2000Kbps.

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
IP profile for your line is - 2000 kbps
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 7616 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 1858 kbps

Finally, some router stats, just for the hell of it.

Status: Showtime Channel: INTR, Upstream rate = 448 Kbps, Downstream rate = 7616 Kbps
Link Power State: L0
Mode: G.DMT
Channel: Interleave
Trellis: OFF
Line Status: No Defect
Training Status: Showtime
Down Up
SNR (dB): 15.2 23.0
Attn(dB): 12.0 9.0
Pwr(dBm): 19.8 11.9
Max(Kbps): 10816 1072
Rate (Kbps): 7616 448

Interleave? Is that necessary given those stats, or is interleaving enabled by default until the line is "trained" properly? Same for the sync speed, will that now stay at 7616Kbps or will that attempt to train up or down also?

Cheers!
2 REPLIES
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Interleaving is applied by default on all new activations, we can turn it off for you if you want, with the stats from your line I see no reason to say not to. With interleaving on, I don't think the sync speed will go any higher, but will if it's switched off. With plenty of SNR to spare I don't think the sync speed will decrease.

Not sure why the IP profile is stuck, I've seen a few of these in the past couple of weeks having not seen any for months. Switching interleaving off might fix it because it'll resync at a higher rate, otherwise I'd say reboot the router once a day for a couple of days if it still doesn't change raise a fault.
Uncle_Meat
Grafter

Cheers for the info Dave.

IP profile still appears to be 2000Kbps here, after a reboot this morning.

As for interleaving, I don't really do anything which is so latency-sensitive as to be affected by the extra 20ms or so I expect I would gain from disabling that, so no real rush or reason to do so, although it might be worth a try to see if it gives my IP profile a kick.

I'll carry on with the reboots for the next day or so, and if nowt else changes I'll raise a ticket and give you guys the nod.

Cheers!