cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed of test socket vs. master socket

damianoneill
Dabbler

Hi, can anyone tell me why when plug my Voyager 105 into the BT test socket I get speeds of up to 7.5 Mb, yet when it's in the master socket I get between 4.1 and 4.6 Mb?
9 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Do you have any extensions wired to the back of the cover you removed. Or do you have an extension wire plugged into the front to which you plug your router in. If so then your local wiring is causing interference and reducing your line speed.

Are ALL your phones connected via an ADSL filter/splitter, this includes sky boxes, alarm systems, old 56k modems, faxes etc.
damianoneill
Dabbler

Unsure as to whether any extensions are wired into the back of the main socket as I've just moved in. But I made sure that there were no devices at all plugged into any other sockets while I was comparing the speed.
oliverb
Grafter

I think we'll take that as a yes then, if there were properly fitted extensions then they'll be wired to the faceplate and they'd be disconnected when you removed it to get at the test socket.

My advice under these circumstances is to get a FACEPLATE SPLITTER, it's dearer than the plugin type but IMO well worth it, much tidier and more robust as it bolts to the master box and one filter deals with all your extensions. If you need broadband in another room you can create a dedicated broadband extension, ask how as it's a little more complicated or just get a really long lead.
damianoneill
Dabbler

Thanks, I might give that a whizz. Would it make any difference to the connection speed of a socket in another room, which is where I mostly use my laptop? If not, then there's no point.
oliverb
Grafter

Ah you want broadband in another room. The faceplate splitter gives you one dedicated ADSL socket at the master. If you want it in another room you'll probably need to run one special extension cable from the master to the room in question. In my office I used a dedicated cable to a socket in the server room (server room, who am I kidding it's a shelf on the wall). At home I used the spare green pair of the extension going to the computer.
N/A

Or, when you unplug the faceplate to get to the BT test socket you have a a cable attached to this faceplate, which is for the extensions, remove the wiring for the bell circuit. i.e. Remove all the wiring except the wires going to 2 and 5.
damianoneill
Dabbler

Thanks, will try that tonight.
oliverb
Grafter

Thanks pchambers, I forgot to mention the bell wire trick. I guess I'm a bit of a perfectionist.

I suppose other things worth mentioning are that there's a filtered extension socket available, so you don't have to have your filters dangling from sockets.

Also with a bit of tweaking you can arrange for some or most of your extension sockets to be filtered centrally (those you don't intend to connect a computer to) which is good if there are other people in your houshold who might move phones around and forget to fit the filters.
N/A

They will soon fit the filters as the line will have background noise on it if the adsl connection is being used.