cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed issues over Christmas period

N/A

Hi all

Just been having a read of the large number of speed related issue posts and have to say I have been experiencing the same problems (p2p speeds at 15k or frequently a lot less, and web page access speeds being absolutely awful (timeouts etc)).

Can someone in plus have a look at my account and see whether there is some issue with it?

Also, shouldnt everyone have been upgraded automatically to the full 2meg if there account can support it by now?

Thanks
16 REPLIES
LiamM
Grafter

Welcome to the forums!

What account do you have? What P2P are you trying to use?

What is your average monthly usage?

What speed is your line connecting at? Do you have access to your line stats? You could be out of range of the exchange for 2Mb service.
N/A

I was @ about 15k, I reckon that was due to the network stress of everyone being around @ xmas.
N/A

Hi

I'm on a 2mb premier account and use DC++ for p2p. Average usage limit has been around 40-60gb (I work shifts and use internet to catch up on tv ive missed).

If i remember correctly my line stats are as follows:

Line Attenuation up 44.0 db down 24.0 db
Noise Margin up 28.1 db down 24.0 db

I connect at 1mb speeds (which i believe is due to the exchange I am on not being 2mb when i signed up - which it now is and has been for at least a couple of months). I don't think i should be out of range for 2mb - i thought the cable length distance was about 4km before being out of range for it?
LiamM
Grafter

With regards to your speeds. All ADSL exchanges are 2Mb capable and have been for a very long time. It's not that your exchange didn't have 2Mb when you signed up, it's that your line is too noisy for it.

The upper limit for 2Mb is 43db and you are 1db over that. Which is why you won't have been provisioned at 2Mb.

If those line stats are absolutely accurate, It probably would work if you could get someone at Plusnet to try a manual regrade for you, but BT can be a bit fussy and if they find your line slightly over limits, they wont regrade it.

Also bear in mind that the modem or router may incorrectly report your stats (most are a few db out usually).

You could ask Plusnet to perform a woosh test to get your line stats, these are generally more accurate and if they come back at under 43db then they can process a line regrade for you.

Raise a ticket.

With regards to P2P. When do the slowdowns happen? All the time?

I find P2P, by it's nature, very unreliable due to the nature that people download faster than they can upload - so lots of people downloading the file slows down distribution for everyone else.

With regards to web browsing timeouts could you post a traceroute to a site you have issues with as it will identify any problems along the way.

It could be a dodgy router / modem. Have you checked for spyware? Anyone else using your connection?
Ben_Brown
Grafter

I'd just like to point out that dB is not a linear scale so while 1 dB might not sound like a lot, 43dB is twice as noisey as 42dB.
LiamM
Grafter

Yeah, I should have mentioned that myself. Thanks Ben.
N/A

Well p2p speeds are awful all the time. Up until before Christmas i could go on at any time and get full (1mb speed). It now always runs at very slow speeds and has been tested at various times of the day (including the middle of the night and day) - even off a very fast source (got my neighbour to try and he was able to get full speed from same place).

When I get home I will try and get a traceroute to a site - an example I can think of offhand was downloading macromedia flash player for IE - it took 2 hours to download after repeated timeouts (from www.macromedia.com) - something which should take litterally a minute to download on broadband.

As for spyware/viruses and local network issues they are definately not an issue - checked everything and all is fine. No one else is using my connection so that can't be an issue either.
N/A

**duplicate post**
Ben_Brown
Grafter

As well as a traceroute it would be well worth running a BT Speed Test - then we can see if this is a problem at our end or a problem at your exchange or even a fault with your line.
N/A

I will do a BT Speedtest as soon as i can get home (shortly) and post the results.

As for the p2p and download speed issues I have been having - is this something that is going to continue (if it is not a line issue as some others have been experiencing) or is this simply due to the implementation and "tweeking" of the new management system that is being put into place?
N/A

P2P was FLYING overnight for me, but duff during the day. I wasn't around in either the day OR night, so this mattered little to me. I woke up to a nice little stash of files in the morning so I was happy.
N/A

Yeah I tend to schedule my downloads overnight anyways, they seem to download much quicker at that time, also helps that the bandwith used at that time isn't at peak time!
N/A

It makes sense to me based on everything that has been said on here over the past few months. Try torrenting during the day, you'll barely get above 30k. Do it overnight and you're at 200k. You then have to wonder, do you really need to be hitting that 200k mark 24/7? I personally don't, I'm more than happy to wait until the following morning when everything I want has been DL'd, in the evening ... sure, I'd like to see uTorrent hitting the heights BUT its not the be all and end all of it for me. Got plenty of other things I can do i.e. browsing, music etc with my PC.

Therefore any form of network management doesn't impact on me.
N/A

I have attempted downloading at all hours and night and day while i was off (as well as last night). It has not made any difference... :shock: