cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed in reality

N/A

Speed in reality

Sorry if this has been covered before.

I went away for a few days - came back again and found my router steaming along at 4700kbps. I've monitored it for the past 24hrs and it seems to have settled down at just over 5000kbps.

But - I've done a few speed tests and the "actual" download rate varies tremendously - the lowest I got was 1000kbps and the fastest 3500kbps.

Now I'm not obsessive about doing these tests - but when I look back at those I did when running at 1100kbps, the variation was no more than +or- 10%

I presume that these big variations I'm now seeing are due to contention. But I wonder if this is normal?
3 REPLIES
Alecto
Grafter

Speed in reality

Yes, that's the way it is.
I get about 4Mb this morning, but last evening I got about 900kB.

There are lots of posts to this effect if you scan the forum.
It's all down to everybody and his dog getting huge speed potential on a clapped out BT network.
Same thing happened when we all got 2Mb a while back.
Everybody gets extra speed, but there is no increase in capacity on the overall network (or Plusnet's network, come to that).
So off peak, good speeds, on-peak, bad speeds.
C'est la vie.
N/A

Speed in reality

I've seen the same thing here since i was MAX'ed, while i've been monitoring i've not hit anything more than 315.560 KByte/s even though i sync at 8218/448 and my MSR (according to +Net) is 8000.
Current speed tests report at 2.25 Mbps which is an improvement on 2Mb obviously but i'm guessing the missing 5.75Mb is due to exchange contention, VPs and the copper melting under the road because BT is almost as shoddy as the Post Office. Wink
willhome
Grafter

Speed in reality

yeh same around peak times i get around a 2mbps connection (which doesnt bother me seeing as i dont download at these times cos of the 10gb limit) and offpeak 1am -over night. i get around 6mbps connection