cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed has dropped from 8000 > 6000

darkgen
Grafter

Has anyone noticed their pn connection speed being changed?

I have had a rock solid connection since being migrated across to dslmax last year (I'm one of ther fortunate ones who could happily connect at 8146 non-interleaved stable).

However, after a reboot a few days ago I have noticed an immediate change from 8000 - 6000, which in turn has limited my connection to 6720.

Hmm, Paul.

EDIT, just rebooted the router and it's now reconnected at 7040.

On a side note, how do you go about submitting a ticket, things seem to of changed a little.
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Have you checked what speed your router is actually connected at?

Have you run the BT speedtester to find out what BT have set you to?

Have you given it 4 days to return to normal?

Have you read anything about the problems MaxDSL can cause?

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
darkgen
Grafter

Have you checked what speed your router is actually connected at?

-Umm, yes, as stated above, now at 7040

Have you run the BT speedtester to find out what BT have set you to?

-Umm, yes.

Have you given it 4 days to return to normal?

-Umm, no, as stated I noticed the drop in speed in a reboot which occured early Tuesday morning.

Have you read anything about the problems MaxDSL can cause?

-Umm, yes.

My main reasoning for the post to see whether a significant event had occured to suggest the drop. I have, quite fortunately, been one of the lucky few that have had pretty much zero issues since migration to dslmax.
Community Veteran

I noticed the drop in speed in a reboot which occured early Tuesday morning.

Your original post just said 'a few days ago'.

So you need to wait 4 days, but ... if your router is now synching at 7Mb rather than 8Mb, this is likely to be something physical has changed on your line and/or there is now a new source of electrical noise somewhere close to your phone line. Sad

Be happy you have 7Mb and move on if you can!

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
darkgen
Grafter

So you need to wait 4 days, but ... if your router is now synching at 7Mb rather than 8Mb, this is likely to be something physical has changed on your line and/or there is now a new source of electrical noise somewhere close to your phone line. Sad

Be happy you have 7Mb and move on if you can!

SW.

It's a possiblity. And of course I'm happy with getting the speed that I do, my main concern was whether this was a prelude to something else. That at the fact the pn set max speed was changed, instantly, it seems to 6000, I knew this data was set automatically, but not dynamically or it seems instantly.

Yes the likelyhood is over the next few days, and reboots, the set speed will probably be reset back to 8000.

Ta, Paul.
James
Grafter

Hopefully so. You won't see an increase in profile speed until you resync above 7392kbps.
Community Veteran

I knew this data was set automatically, but not dynamically or it seems instantly.

BT will change you profile within about 1 hour of the low sync event happening, it can then stake 24-48 hours for the PN portal to show the new value.

It is worth connecting the router to the test socket, i.e. the socket you see when you remove the lower half of the junction box, where your phone line enters your house.

If your speed reported by the router goes back up, then you have a fault in your home wiring or a microfilter/cable is now faulty. Sad

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
darkgen
Grafter

BT will change you profile within about 1 hour of the low sync event happening, it can then stake 24-48 hours for the PN portal to show the new value.

It was that aspect, that worried me slightly, i.e. I was surprised to note the change on the pn portal so swiftly.