cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed halved last 2 weeks, fobbed off big time UNACCEPTABLE!

N/A

For the past 2 weeks Ive been having to put up with line speeds of half or less (3mb or under), and Ive just received the following....

Dear daznet, Our records show that your current expected Data Transfer Rate is 5000kbps.

Customers who have recently been moved to ‘Up to 8Mb’ are likely to experience interruption to their service ‘sync’ and variable connection speeds. Whilst a small number of genuine problems exist, most issues reported to us are in fact no cause for concern and are instead due to the way the product is designed.

Please be aware that it is common for Customers to experience periods of instability within their first 10 days service on the new product. Further information about what to expect with ‘Up to 8Mb’ DSL Max can be found on our website:-
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/products/getready.shtml?link=suptop5_bb1

During the life of your product BT will periodically alter your download speed to what they consider your line to be capable of at the time. This can happen due to fluctuations in noise and the consequent reductions or improvements to the quality of your line as a result of this.

From time to time your equipment may report a significantly higher sync rate than this. This is not necessarily an issue as it can take BT a number of days to upgrade your download speed after a period of deterioration. In these instances we suggest you reboot your equipment once a day for a period of 5 days to allow your connection to retrain.

Customers on ‘Up to 8Mb’ should note that Broadband DSL Max is a rate-adaptive technology, and that data throughput (BRAS Data Rate) will vary dynamically according to technical issues affecting your line speed. Customer Support will not be able to influence this value where the data rate is not a ‘fault’. Your speed is far above the threshold at which BT will accept a speed fault.

It should also be noted that Maximum Stable Rate (MSR) is a value determined during the initial 10 day period after Max is provided, and is used as a benchmark for future fault investigation. This value is NOT a guarantee of consistent speeds. Please read the ‘Get Ready for High-speed Broadband’ page for further details.

The speed at which your modem or router connects to your broadband connection is known as your SYNC Rate. This is independent of the BRAS data transfer rate (throughput).

Regards,
link:CSA removed

To administer your account and for all your help and support requirements visit http://portal.plus.net/index_nlp.html

Now I understand that this may be the case for the first couple of weeks, but Ive had my 8mb connection for a few months now, and after the first couple of weeks have been enjoying consistant speeds of around 6mb... well, up until the last 2 weeks.

Dear daznet, Our records show that your current expected Data Transfer Rate is 5000kbps.

funny, cos my router had settled on a sync of over 6200kbps, until the past 2 weeks, when I have seen it drop by 1000kbps...

Is something going on they are not telling usHuh? If this is now a permanent speed, then I will be leaving... Im not going to Settle for half the speed I was enjoying.... dropping from 6mb to about 3mb is unacceptable.

[Modeators note by csogilvie: CS Agent named removed as per forum rules]
24 REPLIES
Community Veteran

You have not been fobbed off at all, there could be good reasons your speed has changed ... like the recent thunderstorms, see the other threads on this subject and you should consider yourself lucky you are not one of them. Sad

The first things to ask, what is your modem/router reporting as your line speed and SNR values? Also what is your stable rate value from here.

What happens to your modem/router speeds when you plug into the BT master socket on your phone line?

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
N/A

The first things to ask, what is your modem/router reporting as your line speed and SNR values? Also what is your stable rate value from here.

My router was reported 6124kbps for 6 weeks, then dropped to just over 5000kbps, which is what the stable rate value is... yet speed test from bt average at 3000 or below!!!

What happens to your modem/router speeds when you plug into the BT master socket on your phone line?

Nothing, that is where it is connected now....

All I know is for 6 weeks I had about 6mb dl speeds, and now it maxes out at 3 if Im lucky....
robcr
Grafter

For about 6 weeks my speed exceeded 1Meg at varying degrees of success depending on the connection speed at the time but now, it has dropped back to what it was prior to my upgrade from 500kb's Evil
csogilvie
Grafter

daznet, what does a BT Speedtest give you? http://usertools.plus.net/tutorials/id/27
Community Veteran

My router was reported 6124kbps for 6 weeks, then dropped to just over 5000kbps, which is what the stable rate value is... yet speed test from bt average at 3000 ...or ... for 6 weeks I had about 6mb dl speeds, and now it maxes out at 3 if Im lucky...

Good you have been running bt speed tests too. It sounds like you are suffering from contention. Are there any known problems at you exchange listed here.

Have you run a bt speedtest very late at night or before 8am before other people on your exchange are awake on the internet?

As for your sync speed dropping from 6124 to +5000, this is down to BT and their DLM software. When you connect your router/modem, shortly after what is the SNR or Downstream Margin value?

You have not been fobbed off.

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
N/A

Ive run about 10 bt speedtests over the course of a few days, only one of which came back at over 3000, at about 3126kbps... which again, is half what I had vecome used to expect... Ive run them out of peak times with same results...

Cant seem to get much info from router about snr etc, bit annoyed, cos I thought I had a good one, netgear 834gt....

No probs at my exchange.... its just really frustrating, cos I know what my line is capable of.....
Community Veteran

On the DG834G, you can get this information from choosing Router Status on the left handside, this loads a page, then scroll down to bottom of that page to click on a button called Show Statistics ... my your 834GT is similar.

What times of day/night did you run the test?

What PN account type are you on?

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
N/A

LOL.. cant believe I never spotted that one..!!!!

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 5504 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 10.0 db 3.5 db
Noise Margin 14.8 db 23.0 db

Have run the test at 8am, and 11pm... Im on Prem....

I must admit, things seem a bit better today, first time in a couple of weeks Im getting just under 4mb dl now, still 2mb below what Im used to though, now thats still one hell of a drop in my opinion..!!

Will keep an eye on it...
robcr
Grafter

My speeds are much better today hopefully, whatever was the problem is now well and truly fixed.
Community Veteran

Noise Margin 14.8 db 23.0 db

Will keep an eye on it...

Your downstream noise margin is shown 15dB, do you always get this value shortly after connecting the router?

Some noise on your line has at sometime made your line unstable. There have been unreliable comments that BT will reduce the noise margin for a line after a few weeks ... so it could be a long wait to get back to 6100kb/s.

Anyhow ... the upgarde was free. Wink

SW
--
3Mb FTTC
N/A

Wasnt for me.. I paid £15 for a quick regrade!!!!

Still narks me though.. all was great for about 6 weeks, and now Im almost down to speeds of 4 years ago!!!

09-07-2006 22:43:34 491.5
09-07-2006 22:38:12 505.4
09-07-2006 22:37:22 421.1
09-07-2006 22:34:18 420.8
09-07-2006 21:30:01 457.4
09-07-2006 21:29:36 421.8
09-07-2006 17:39:31 394.4
09-07-2006 17:39:11 382.8
09-07-2006 17:22:27 496.7
09-07-2006 17:22:07 422
N/A

how can you say there are no problems at your exchange? if your BT speedtest results are half your sync speed then it can only be exchange issues or problems with your kit (not likely)
N/A

If you read all the info on maxdsl it is a up to 8mb service. NOT a fixed rate of 8mb. An important difference.

It is very common to get less than 8mb(minus overheads), due to contention and is offen peak/off-peak dependant. Your average d/l speed of around 200 to 500 would make many maxdsl people happy
Community Veteran

Further, who is to say all websites being accessed is able to provide data at the full 8Mb, this is true for speedtest websites too! :shock:

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC