Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed Upgrade to 2Mbps

Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 69

Speed Upgrade to 2Mbps

Graham,

Try and run a traceroute when your speed it low and when it is high. See if your speed is any relation to the gateway you are on (this is likely to be the second hop). I've had reports of customers noticing differences dependent on the core router they are connected through.

Regards,

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

17 REPLIES
N/A

Speed Upgrade to 2Mbps

Just arrived home from work and had to reset the router.

To my suprise my connection has been upgraded and am now connected at 2Mbps ... off to download some kit before the FUP Cheesy

Graham (aka southpk)
N/A

Speed Upgrade to 2Mbps

tis good aint it Wink
N/A

Speed Upgrade to 2Mbps

Not so sure now:

the router states

Data Rate Downstream 2272 Upstream 288 Unit: kbps

But I've just checked the Bandwidth Speed Test here at F9 and it states 979.6 kbps - which is what I had on a 1Meg connection.

Does F9 need to change some setting on the account to give me full speed ??

EDIT #1
Tried a Cold Boot on the router and the speed test now seems fine and is reporting 1918.9 kbps

EDIT #2
After trying the speed test at F9 I am still unsure as to what connection I now have. These are the last several speed test results with the router still synched at
Downstream 2272 kbps
Upstream 288 kbps

Achieved (kbps)
N/A

Speed Upgrade to 2Mbps

use the speed test at http://www.adslguide.org/tools/speedtest.asp

that is a much better test (you will need java VM installed of course). Tick the 'detailed output' option to see stats as they appear.

Mine ran at 1900 down on the dot when i tried it (estimated just over 2meg including overheads), which is just a smidgen below 2mbit on the graph.

Jarv
N/A

Speed Upgrade to 2Mbps

Hi Jarvis,

tried that and get similar results:

Downstream 805 Kbps (100.6 KB/sec) 869 Kbps (inc. overheads)
Upstream 237 Kbps (29.6 KB/sec) 255 Kbps (inc. overheads)

Earlier today I did a few sample downloads and the speed did clock around 230 K/s so the connection has achieved 2Mbit, but that does not seem to be the case now. In fact the speed now is less than the 1M connection I had.

Oh well, I feel a support ticket coming on Wink
slev
Grafter

Speed Upgrade to 2Mbps

Hi

I would suggest that you use the Contact Us system as F9 needs to adjust your account when the regardes first go through.

Kind Regards

Ian
N/A

Speed Upgrade to 2Mbps

Hi Ian,
I have posted a support ticket to find out what the current situation is. I've had no advanced warning of this (apart from the discussions held here) so it did take me a little by suprise finding the router connected at 2Mb earlier today.

As stated above, I have achieved downloads in the region of 230Kb/s, so I know the upgrade has been done. Unfortunately since around 4pm this afternoon the connection seems to be back at 1Mb although the router is reporting 2Mb.

I'll await F9's answer.

Graham
N/A

Speed Upgrade to 2Mbps

Could always check out the status of your exchange as well...

http://usertools.f9.net.uk/exchanges/

Mine says that it is possible that broadband may run at reduced rates at very busy times.

Just a thought Smiley

Jarv

P.S. Thanks to cyteck for that link Smiley
zone8
Grafter

Speed Upgrade to 2Mbps

LoL all this talk about extra speed & I bet from my complaining LoL im now back of list for update LoL.
zone8
Grafter

Speed Upgrade to 2Mbps

HAHA knew it im being upgraded on july the 5th. How do i get my downloading done between 1am & 8am on my slow 512 connection. It will take me every night for the whole month Sad This whole policy is based around 2mbit & i wont even see the 2mbit for 4 months geeez
N/A

Speed Upgrade

:? Is it me or do you have to pay to upgrade? When i use the upgrade tool it says I have to pay a one off 14.99. Can someone clarify this.
N/A

Speed Upgrade to 2Mbps

yep i paid 14.99 to get my 2mbits now rather than wait for the freebe. They did it very quickly actually, less than 2 working days!!
zone8
Grafter

Speed Upgrade to 2Mbps

Not paying to upgrade when i dont get no bandwidth. Im just going to leave in couple of months.
N/A

Speed Upgrade to 2Mbps

tis good aint it Wink

Nope, BT have done their bit, now waiting for F9 to get it together

Graham