cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed Upgrade Not Automatic?

N/A

Re-booted my modem last week and discovered it was connecting to the exchange at 2 Mb/sec, but on further investigation my connection was being throttle to 500 kb/sec.
It took took tickets to get the throttling removed.
The reply from the first ticket suggested BT had not informed them of the exchange upgrade.
I'm not complaining about PN technical support - their response to the ticket was impressive. However, I had the impression that PN were sending customers an advanced e-mail to inform them when their exchange upgrade was iminent and then would also automatically released the throttle.

If I hadn't been proactive, I still think I'd be on 500 kb/sec.
By the way , upgrade was 1 month later than published in the BT schedule document provided.

Are BT not informing PN promptly when they have done upgrades or is PN just not informing their customers?
9 REPLIES
Community Veteran

BT are now supposed to send PN a list of users who are going to be upgraded in the next week and who have been upgraded in the last week - at least i think thats how it works.

I suspect it is BT however as just because BT are supposed to do something doesn't mean they do it.
N/A

2mb question

My router is showing 2mb downstream but im still on 1mb. :?

Do i have to do anything to get 2mb.
Community Veteran

Ring CS (number at bottom of page) and tell them you are are syncing at 2MB but being throttled ask them to remove the throttle they will flick a switch at which point you will need to reboot you equipment and you have 2MB.
N/A

cheers ill give that a go
N/A

how do you check what speed your modem is sync'ing at?

Regards
N/A

I've got fed up of waiting for BT to sort mine out. It should have been done last month... impatient i know Cheesy Hopefully it'll be all sorted by christmas
N/A

'NEA-ADSL-101 Upgrades on this DSLAM will commence in April 2005
Multiple visits are required for the upgrades to this DSLAM

Record last updated: 11 Apr 05'

June 2005 now, am I on another planet. Not even an update. At least BT are consistent in their efficiency, maybe they meant 2006. :lol: :lol:

Edit, add Updated record, for what it is worth.

DSLAM ID Information
NEA-ADSL-101 Upgrades on this DSLAM will commence in April 2005
NEA-ADSL-102 Upgrades on this DSLAM will commence in May 2005

You are on the DSLAM known as NEA-ADSL-101.

Record last updated: 21 Jun 05
hangover
Grafter

how do you check what speed your modem is sync'ing at?

I would be very grateful for an answer to this too.

My phone number is not recognised by the exchange checker and so I phoned CS yesterday to find out if and when I was being upgraded to the 2MB service. CS told me I needed to phone BT and ask them.

So I phoned BT and they said me that they were unable to tell me because it depended on my line and I would need to get PN to test it.

So then I phoned CS back and they basically admitted they didn't have a clue when it would happen but that I should get an email when it does (although having read this thread I'm pretty sceptical about that).

Coincidentally, this morning when I tried to connect I got a BT webpage I had never seen before telling me that they were doing work on the broadband connection - but I've just run the speed check and I'm still connecting at 5-600.
N/A

Back to Scobie's question. Why cannot Plus Net upgrade automaticaly? I thought this was mooted when the upgrades first started. all this toing and froing must be very expensive on PlusNet's rescources and causes a lot of unnecessary frustration and bad feeling! :x