Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed Test & Downstream Connection Speed

bmck
Dabbler

Another quick question while I'm here.

When 8MB broadband became available I asked for the upgrade never for one moment expecting to get the full 8MB (as I live too far away from the exchange). I thought I'd get whatever the line could handle and be happy with that.

My Netgear router shows a "Downstream Connection Speed" of 5408kbps which I was delighted about as that's hugely faster than the 576kbps I used to get. What I don't understand is why the Plusnet Speed Test doesn't reflect this speed. Where I used to score a speed of 400 - 500kbps I now achieve 900 - 1000kbps.

If my downstream speed is 5408 (as reported by the router) then why don't I see about 5400kbps in the speedtest? Is the router wrong and I'm really only getting 1000 or am I getting 5400 and the speed test is wrong?

Any ideas?

Thanks

Brian
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran

What does connection settings -> high speed broadband say as this determines your throughput speed, which is different to your sync speed?

If this is less than 4500 then raise a ticket and get it investigated / fixed as the BT profile may not have been sent by BT or PN missed it.

Also run a BT speedtest which will show what IP profile BT have assigned to your line and include that in a post here and the ticket if you raise one. The profile determines your throughput speed.
Community Veteran

It's worth your knowing that the rate at which the modem/router syncs with the exchange is always going to be greater than the actual throughput; I sync at 8128 on a superb line but never speedtest at more than 6000 (and then rarely) -- there's always an apparent shortfall as there are some overheads to allow for in the technology as well as practical considerations like exchange contention.

Have a look at this sticky for more info.

paul
bmck
Dabbler

Thanks for the input gents.

Petervaughan - my router a Netgear DG834GT doesn't have "connection settings / high speed broadband". I've just upgraded the firmware to double check I wasn't missing something. The closest info I have is "router status / modem / downstream connection speed" which is sitting on 5312kbps at the moment.

I wasn't able to run the BT speedtest (couldn't get in) but ran the "thinkbraodband speedtest" instead. This gave me a speed of 3670kbps. This is more satisfying than the 900 - 1000kbps reported by plusnet. Can the difference between the 3670kbps I've just tested at and the 5312kbps reported by the router be explained by paulh177's post? Paulh177 achieves 73% of the speed his router syncs with the exchange at. My figures work out at 69% - that's quite close isn't it.
bmck
Dabbler

hmm.... just looked at the sticky paulh177 mentioned. Should have looked at that before rushing off the post above. I see now how to use the BT Speedtest. This shows my profile to be 4500kbps which is confirmed in "connection settings / high speed broadband" (which I now realise is a figure on plusnets' site and not in my router!).

Well it took a while for all the pennys to drop and now that they have I realise that I have the potential for 8MB braodband but am connecting at 4MB (due to the distance from the exchange) and am quite happy with that.

Thanks again for the help guys.

Brian
p_w_d_stone
Grafter

FYI The speedtester on the portal was designed for fixed rate broadband and is in the process of being replaced by this speedtester.
Community Veteran

mine synchs at over 4000 but ip throughput never gets above 400 on a good day for me now - I feel this is either to with contention at PN again, or a BT error that they simply cant be bothered to fix.

Sadly as there is no no way whatso ever customers can test the speed without going through the PN network, we will never know. Bring back the old bt speed tester, at leas that gave us something to go on.

This current one may as well say, "yep - your speeds are low, but who knows whether its PN or your exchange in general".