cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed Regrade Question

N/A

Speed Regrade Question

I asked this question about a week ago when I got activated, but after reading some more threads on the issue, a thought occurs.

To remind you, I'm a new customer to PlusNet (service was activated last week). Can't fault the service so far, however my line is currently only running at 1.1mbps. I got the line stats from my router, which according to the folks on here would be able to support a 2mbps connection.

After raising a ticket with PlusNet, they said that BT would not regrade the line because it is currently operating at the fastest speed it can. My friend who lives literally 100m away from me has the same line stats, yet he is on a 2.2mbps connection (he is, however, on Tiscali..does this make a difference?).

My question is, would there be any other reason why BT wouldn't upgrade my speed? Can PlusNet force a regrade through? Is there a fee? I've checked my exchange on the Usertools website, and VP Capacity is showing as red. It was meant to be fixed on the 17th October. Would this affect BT's ability to regrade my line?

Any input welcome. I just want to get to the bottom of this before I let it lie.

-Paul
14 REPLIES
LiamM
Grafter

Speed Regrade Question

If you supply BT with your line stats that are over the limits for 2Mb, then you should be able to ask Plusnet to perform a woosh test and use the results of this to force BT to carry out a manual regrade.
N/A

Speed Regrade Question

Is there a charge for a Woosh test / possible subsequent regrade, or will it be done gratis?

-Paul
LiamM
Grafter

Speed Regrade Question

The woosh test should be free, and given that if your line does support 2Mb, then it should have been provisioned at that from the start, you shouldn't be charged for a regrade - so don't let them try to.
N/A

Speed Regrade Question

Alright, I'll raise another ticket with customer support.

Incidentally, I've been looking back through my tickets for when my ADSL was ordered, and I found this:

The following result was returned by BT Speed Checker for CLI number xxxxx:
Speed: 2000
The BT product ordered is BT IPStream Home 2000 Self-Install.

Surely that's evidence in itself that I should be on 2mbps?

-Paul
N/A

Speed Regrade Question

I think that's just based on a basic initial line check. After that they perform more comprehensive tests to determine the line's maximum possible speed - it's probably here that they decided 2Mbps was not available.
Community Veteran

Speed Regrade Question

The opposite has been known to happen as well !!

I ordered a line for client and knew that it would be a struggle to to get 1meg never mind 2meg.

What did BT do ? Yes they provisioned it at 2meg despite a line loss of 57dB :?
So much for relying on BT to do a proper test. Sad
N/A

Speed Regrade Question

johnessex,

did the 2MB connection for your client run quite stable or was it dropping all the time??

I have been trying to get a 2MB connection with a SNR of 24 -31(depending on the weather) and a DS Attenuation of 42 with no luck and am quite brassed off about it.

Would be good to know if ppl are getting a stable 2MB connection with a line loss of 57db
Ben_Brown
Grafter

Speed Regrade Question

The following result was returned by BT Speed Checker for CLI number xxxxx:
Speed: 2000
The BT product ordered is BT IPStream Home 2000 Self-Install.

Surely that's evidence in itself that I should be on 2mbps?

No, this is evidence that we submitted the order for 2MB to BT. BT must have deemed that your line would not support 2MB.
Community Veteran

Speed Regrade Question

johnessex,

did the 2MB connection for your client run quite stable or was it dropping all the time??

It was only coming into sync every now and again and once it had "Locked on" to the exchange it didn't stay up long enough to connect to anything.

Interesting thing though that I was using what was then the latest D-Link router, a 504T
I tried an earlier version, the 504 and that didn't even show any green light nevermind a flashing one.

Which to me shows that some routers are much more sensative than others.
Even the BT guy had to go down the road to the cabinet to get any signal Smiley
N/A

Speed Regrade Question

Ahhh………….. figures………… I’ve seen connections running fine with a 48db but even I though one of 57 was pushing it a bit, but mind you I have experienced that problem with routers/modems before. Most of the ones I got it from were netgear ones though…….but …….I guess its more wide spread.

Anyhow I a still peeved at the fact I can get a 2MB line with my stats. My telephone line is has only been laid for 3 years so it’s not the condition of the line. What they did say was “The 43DB line attentuation is right on the level from 1Mb to 2Mb so when we have placed the regrade order to BT they have determined that for a stable connection it wont be good enough on your line.” And that’s it, nothing about why it won’t be good enough :?

As for unit84 with line stats like yours am sure you will be on 2MB soon…….give it a bit of time…..there slow but they will get there………sometime. Smiley
N/A

Speed Regrade Question

As for unit84 with line stats like yours am sure you will be on 2MB soon…….give it a bit of time…..there slow but they will get there………sometime. Smiley

BT Point-flatly refused to regrade my line speed last time, citing the fact that my line won't support it. Yet everyone that I have spoken to on here seems to think it will.

Should I still force a regrade? Anyone from PN offer any input?

-Paul
Community Veteran

Speed Regrade Question

Anyhow I a still peeved at the fact I can get a 2MB line with my stats. My telephone line is has only been laid for 3 years so it’s not the condition of the line. What they did say was “The 43DB line attentuation is right on the level from 1Mb to 2Mb so when we have placed the regrade order to BT they have determined that for a stable connection it wont be good enough on your line.” And that’s it, nothing about why it won’t be good enough :?

At one time BT would have tried it to see if it worked, but the fault rate has been so high with all the 2meg upgrades that they can't cope and have apparently drawn a thick line at 43DB and said no. Sad

If you are convinced that it will work you may be able to get Plusnet to try for a "Manual upgrade" but I'm not sure if you have to pay or not, or pay again if its not stable and needs to be put back to 1meg :?
N/A

Speed Regrade Question

Just a point that may be of use but a couple of months back my line was only upgraded to 1Mb instead of 2 Mb due to my line stats - according to PlusNet.
Queried this with my routers readings - 41 dB downstream atten and 21 dB SNR. Got PlusNet to do a whoosh test and they came up with 42.5 dB Atten downstream, right next to the limit. I argued that the limits are there for a reason and although I was close to it I was within it. They agreed and ordered a manual regrade wich went through and my line is now working fine at 2 Mb with no drops to speak of apart from the odd ones discussed elswhere in this forum for Netgear DG834G routers!
Note for info since the upgrade my router now reads bang on 43 dB downstream atten and 15 dB SNR - works great Smiley
N/A

Speed Regrade Question

Well I did put in for a manual regrade of my line and what I posted above was the response back from PN CS. So even after requesting a manual upgrade I still dont have a 2MB line and by the looks of things I wont get 1 anytime soon.....................c'mon the MaxDSL

oh and BT suk big time imo