cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed Issues

N/A

Speed Issues

Just checked the exchange which is listed as green.
Good News, BT have finished enabling this exchange for Max DSL products.
Products will be available from 31/03/06.
Speeds: Our test also indicates that your line should be able to support a potential ADSL Max broadband line rate of 6Mbps up to 8Mbps.
Where do i go from here? (without moving house :lol: )
17 REPLIES
N/A

Speed Issues

Despite being changed onto 8Mb last year i have suddenly noticed a sudden speed decrease. Checking my speed I now only get 1Mb. Plus net records say that is the current expected data rate.
Quote "The reduction in speed you have seen will have been the result of our traffic management systems. This does not in any way change the synchronisation rate or profile of your connection on the line.
It simply changes the maximum rate of the data that an be transferred over that connection."
Speedtest.bt.com gives
IP profile for your line is - 1000 kbps
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 1280 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 817 kbps
Does this mean i can only get 1Mb from any ISP despite a line test saying my line is capable upto 6MB?
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Speed Issues

Hi,

Our speed history seems to show a gradual reduction in speed over the past few months. It started out around 6-8Mbps late last year but since January it's been decreasing slowly first to aroun 4-5Mbps then 3Mbps and now around 1-1.5Mbps.

It's difficult to say what might be the cause, I'd suggest the first thing to do is to check all your wiring and filters as any incorrect wiring could easily cause this, this page is a good place to start:

http://usertools.plus.net/tutorials/id/13

If you do find a problem then you'll probably notice an increase in the sync rate, but it will take 3-5 days to see an increase in the throughput speed.

If nothing there helps can you post your line stats? The following page shows how to get them on most routers/modems:

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.htm
N/A

Speed Issues

Hi thanks for the swift response.
We did have sky hd installed in January which meant rejigging the phones a little. I'll check tomorrow if theres a problem there. However heres my router stats.
System Up Time 02:27:26
Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
WAN PPPoA 87799 115235 0 917 10933 02:26:03
LAN 10M/100M 118633 93372 0 11136 1180 02:27:21

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 1280 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 30 db 8.5 db
Noise Margin 12 db 23 db
FooAtari
Grafter

Speed Issues

Attenuation and noise doesnt look to bad. Better than mine anyway and im getting a stable 4mb. Line should be able to support far higher speeds than 1.5Mb.

Where did sky install your filter? When I had sky installed they ran an extension to the Sky box and connected the filter to the end of that. The filter should ideally connected to the socket then any extensions required run from that, although ideally you should connect the modem/router directly to the filter if possible, although it's not always convenient.

As far as i know though, its better to have the filter between the socket and extension, rahter than between the extension and modem. If you have an extension that is, just based on when I got my Sky installed...
Community Veteran

Speed Issues

Wouldnt the installation of any other equipment or change of any lines result in an INSTANT change if it were going to affect the speed?

Sounds like an ever worsening problem at BT exchange, or a degrading connection over some months - which would indicate water ingress in the line somewhere, or something slowly degrading bewteen yourself and the exchange.

A change to woring or the installation of sky would not affect the connection over a period of months surely?

The oxidising or rusting of some connection all the way back to the exchange might though.

Sounds like a BT fault to me - but in my experience the easiest way to get rid of a BT fault at present is to move house. Drastic I know - but I forsee a long and extended period of banging your head against a brick wall trying to convince BT there is something wrong.

Quite simply they will not give a stuff, and certainly wont look at it in any detail to see whats caused the problem. They will run a speed test and respond with some typical parrot answer stating its working within specification - Id guess they wont even bother acknowledging its going 1/6th of the speed it was some months ago.

The wonderful world of Btitish Telecom. A great british institution that requires a good old dose of burning to the ground.
FooAtari
Grafter

Speed Issues

Might worth checking your exchange? Cant remember the link off top of my head though...
chrisc
Grafter

Speed Issues

The exchange link can be found here. Cheesy
FooAtari
Grafter

Speed Issues

Did you check your wiring etc?

Have you done the BT Speedtest just to remove PN from the equation and check your actual line speeds?

Have you bought anything that might be causing interference on the line? Got filters on any other telephone sockets around your house?

But maybe chesterfield is on to something...
N/A

Speed Issues

Hi
Checked the wiring late last night. Basically have two extension lines in a row connected with no filter in at the momemnt. (Not sure how that happened but it has been ok from Jan up to now).

Tonight I'm going to install the filter and then try a one new extension lead to see if either of the extension leads are a problem.I may even go back to the old ASDL modem just incase the netgear has a problem.I don't want to get BT involved until I'm sure the problem is not at my end as apparently BT charge for the work if it's not their fault.
FooAtari
Grafter

Speed Issues

So you have one extension from the socket, then another extension attached to that extension? And no filter anywhere? Not the best setup Smiley And if you have no filter im surpriused your connection was even close to stable.

If you have to have the extensions in place put the extension in the wall and attach the filter to the extension. I think thats the most effective method as you are effectivly just adding a few more meteres between you and the exchange that way. Could be wrong though.
chrisc
Grafter

Speed Issues

Basically, if you can avoid extension cables in any way then you should. They are not designed for ADSL and may only work for a short period of time - hence no problems between Jan and now.

If you do have to use an extension cable then ensure that it is filtered as otherwise you are likely to add extra interference and increase instability.
N/A

Speed Issues

Have now put filter onto extension. Could not try swapping extensions as I my spare is not long enough.Must use an extension I'm afraid ccotterill as the main line comes in at the front of the house nad the pc room with all the network connections is at the back.I might try and get one of the adsl approved extensions tomorrow. In the meantime it;'s getting worse now
IP profile for your line is - 500 kbps
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 1056 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 365 kbps
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Speed Issues

If it's possible the best thing to do is to try the router/modem connected directly to the master socket with everything else on the phone line unplugged and see what that syncs at. I think there's a high chance that something within the internal wiring is causing the low sync so if you try with nothing but the router getting rid of the extension cables, Sky, phones, fax, etc. and it syncs higher than that will confirm that. You can then add each thing back in one device/cable at a time and see what happens with each.
N/A

Speed Issues

Right- Just connected straight to the master socket with a filter. Stats are now
Connection Speed 3456 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 30 db 8.5 db
Noise Margin 15 db 26 db
So presumably the fault lies inside the house in the extension lines.I'm now going to start plugging things back one at a time aas advised and take further readings.