cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed Increases

N/A

Speed Increases

Hi,

Ok, so I'm confused. The new fair usage allowances start on April 1st....but when will my connection speed increase? Will this be 2mbps from April 1st?? Or will I have a speed selection option from April 1st, and if I then decided to go to 2mpbs for free, the upgrade request will be sent to BT and they will then schedule it in?

Or have force 9 applied for all customers to be upgraded to the maximum speed already, and it will start to happen gradually for all customers from April 1st?

So basically, when can I expect my speed increased?? I'm in zone 2 NW London if that's of any consequence.
22 REPLIES
Ben_Brown
Grafter

Speed Increases

Unfortunately we do not know when specific areas will have the speed increased. This will be happening from April, and is will take a few months to complete across the whole customer base.
N/A

Speed Increases

Alex

Check out the topic below the post from Bob Pullen seems to clarify most points.

https://portal.f9.net.uk/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4730

But as far as I can tell MaxDSL/ Fair Usage Policy/8 Meg Broadband are not linked even though the time lines of some cross over.

Reading that post it seems that people will be put onto 2Meg (MaxDSL) on an exchange by exchange basis, which will start in April and expectation is that 50% of Force9 customers will have it by May. But there is a lot of work for BT here and so it may take a little while before everyone done. As for if Force9 have already intiated the request with bT I have no idea (but I would hope so).

As for the speed selector, I assume that as Force9 can already tell what your current linespeed is, that the selection through the portal (when it is launched) will allow you to select between this speed and any lower speed. Wether this be 1Meg/2Meg (or dare I say it 8Meg if you re on a trial). As for when the selector will appear I have no idea. But this is just an asusmption.

As for exact timing when it will happen it will star tin April, but the gerneral consensus about when it will finish seems to be that it will finish whenever BT pull their finger out :-)
N/A

Confused or what?

Hi,

Yes! all very confusing! they way I understand all these upgrade's is from the comments Bob Pullen made in his longer explanation recently in the forum which was a very well written piece.

So the first upgrade is from whatever you're currently on speed wise upto 2MB's, the 4MB's or 8MB's is not guarenteed at all. The higher speed (4 or 8MB) upgrade is only a BT trial of the technologies involved and MIGHT be available later in 2005 or early 2006 if the trial is a success. If your very lucky and your phone line is capable of suporting it then maybe you'll get 4MB's or possibly 8MB's but its not certain.

Ivan
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Speed Increases

Hi,

Yep that pretty much sums things up

Regrades to 2Mbps for current 512 and 1Mbps customers starts in April
Fair Usage rolled out around 11th April
Faster than 2Mbps trial for a small number of customers starts in April
Full product launch of faster than 2Mbps likely in August.

The one other thing is that the faster speeds will be rate adaptive, that is there will be a piece of kit at BT's exchange (known as RAMBO) which will set the speed you can connect at based on your line conditions, the speed could be anything from 2Mbps up to 8Mbps.
Marteknet
Grafter

Speed Increases

Hi Dave.

If these new speeds are automatically given to all applicable customers then because of the higher speeds I can envisage some customers using a lot more bandwidth then they at first realise. Can you confirm when the new bandwidth usage monitor will be available on the portal and if it will list on-peak and off-peak usage separately, Please supply the tools needed for customers to monitor their usage easily and accurately.

Regards Peter.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Speed Increases

Yep, the View My Usage Tool will be changed shortly (around 11th April) to show uploads and peak time downloads seperately.
Marteknet
Grafter

Speed Increases

Yep, the View My Usage Tool will be changed shortly (around 11th April) to show uploads and peak time downloads seperately.

Ok Dave.

I Think you may have made a typing error there, maybe uploads should read off peak time.

Cheers Peter
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 69

Speed Increases

Hi there,

Yes, the tool is envisaged to represent total usage separated into peak and off peak downloads. Uploads may be shown separately aswell because the FUP only accounts for downloaded traffic.

Kind Regards,

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

N/A

Speed Increases

Hmm, as its rate adaptive then I presume that means that during good weather (for the lines) you might be 2Mbit and in poor weather you could get 1Mbit or even (gosh dang) 500Kbit?

Its interesting to note because how lenient the device is could determine if people who could achieve a reasonably stable 2Mbit (but their line would previously have been slightly outside BTs guidelines) will in fact be allowed it or not.
Any idea exactly how clever RAMBO will be regarding this?
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 69

Speed Increases

In a word, no. I do not know the specific technical specifications of the RAMBO equipment. What I do know is that the line will sync at what the equipment considers stable. This is likely to be in 0.5Mbps increments eg. 2.5Mb, 3.0Mb, 3.5Mb etc.

Kind Regards,

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

N/A

Speed Increases

that's quite interesting Bob,

officially i should never have broadband according to BT but I'm on 1mb and it's been fine. I had a problem a month back but I've put that down to BT doing some work, and my router getting stuffed. Since I put my modem on the connections been a lot better and have had uptimes for over 8 days.

So when the upgrades do come it could be down to the type of equipment that a user is using that determines if they can have an increase in speed or not.

What happens if it fails on one day with a particular piece of equipment, and then later user upgrades their hardware, can they submit a retest or would it be blocked like it used to be when lines originally failed..
N/A

Modem Router Uptime

Hello woodviews

I dont want too sound like I am bragging here but only 8days uptime? I have a D-Link ADSL modem and regularly get 3-4 weeks unbroken continuos uptime, this usually only fails due to a stale DSL session. I thought this was a long time but I was informed bye other F9 broadband users who have routers that routers can have uptime of months & months. I have concluded that this very much depends upon where you live and the quality of your line & your kit last of all.

Ivan
fraserc
Grafter

Modem Router Uptime

I can recommend the Zoom ADSL X5 router (available from PCWorld but you can get it cheaper off the web).

Before I recently re-configured my kit I was up for over a month and, before that, for even longer at times. I find I lose connection maybe once every three moths or so and a reboot always fixes it.

Setup was a doddle and I was connected within a few minutes of getting it out of the box.

Cheers,

Colin
N/A

Speed Increases

my 8 days uptime was because of a system update on the pc that is connected to internet.

if it wasn't for that I would say it would have been up for longer.

also I think the SAR130's can be a bit funny with the connections, many users have had problems especially ones with plusnet, not sure why though. they constantly froze when accessing the web interface, and don't like too much change in the line quality or when its stormy weather.

have been looking at gettting a wireless setup as soon as can afford, but this may wait until after i've done the new computer room out (which i've been doing for past 3 years).