cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed Checker broken again

N/A

I know that its not dead on accurate. But once again its giving me ridiculous results. Yet when I try and download something from the file fault the speeds are normal. Can anyone please explain why every now and then the speed checker tells lies?
21 REPLIES
vic_newey
Grafter

it seems to vary quite a lot, inc. the size of download for your connection varies from one minute to the next.

Even browser settings will alter it, for instance , if you set ' tools', internet options, settings, & change to 'every visit to the page' then try several +net tests & you should see much higher readings altho it doesn't actually alter your speed unfortunately, my 512 normally shows 475 but I get 490 - 500 by changing as above.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

What sort of speeds is the tester giving, too slow or too fast? Have you compared it with the one on ADSLGuide to see what that gives? It could be something locally with your PC that's causing it to give inaccurate results, if ADSLGuide gives the same then that would confirm that.
N/A

Hi Dave.

The speed results im getting with the speed checker and ADSLGuide and ZDNet are slow speeds. But im still getting good speeds with the file vault.

I use Mozilla Firefox browser and most of the time i get good speed results with the checkers. Just sometimes I dont.

I just tried it with IE6 and i did 4 tests with the checker on the portal and the first check gave me a slow speed but the other 3 gave me a spot on speed. I tried ADSLGuide with IE6 and it was slow.
N/A

Make sure that the address you're using is "http://..." not "https://...". The reason is that if you have the s at the end, the data is being encrypted, thus you can receive more in a certain time (so you get innaccurate readings).
N/A

Well i follow the link for the checker in Connection Settings. I looked again and noticed the https and took away the s and refreshed. I did the speed test and the results were alot slower than before. However when i replace the s i get normal results.

Also before i read Eurotrain's post about https, i connected and checked the speed and it was normal. I did it a few more times and normal results. I left the computer for 5 mins to make a coffee and tested it again and it gave me slow results. Then i did what Eurotrain had mentioned.

At this moment in time https is giving me mixed results. Normal and slow.
File vault speeds can be normal or a little bit slow or start off at 3000kbs then level off to normal.
lhorwath
Grafter

Hi there,

I'll do some tests today on our speed checker and see if I can detect a problem with it. I'll post again with my findings.

regards

Luke
N/A

Ok thanks.
N/A

I am now getting slower speeds from the File vault now. I really hope there isnt going to be a speed problem again.
N/A

Started getting normal results again the other day but today getting stupid ones again. Any news Luke?
lhorwath
Grafter

Hi there,

I did 6 tests on our speed dialler, 3 as my personal account and 3 as our test account. I got speeds between 468-513kbps. I then did 3 tests on ADSLguide and got 2 speeds of 470kbps and 1 of 368kbps (which gave me a fright Smiley ).

I also started downloading a couple of files from file vault. After about 30 secs, I was getting speeds between 58-61kbps.

I'll test again later today, to see if I get any conflictions.

Regards

Luke
N/A

Cheers.
N/A

Correct me if I am wrong, but couldn't line contention be a reason with differing results?
N/A

I always seem to get slow results with the Speed Checker and the ADSL one,but when I download files or use Robin Walker's simple speedtest I get the bandwidth I expect.
I wouldn't put too much trust in an individual speed checker, if your file downloads are as quick as they should be then you're probably ok, but MTU is worth tweaking as this can dramatically speed up the TCP/IP handshaking if you remove packet breakup. Latency will be lowered and so web site browsing will improve and some P2P services could also be quicker (they use ping times to clients to work out what rate to stuff data down).
The biggest improvement for me came from drastically reducing ping times by finding an MTU value which my Netgear would live with (1458 in my case for a 1M link).
N/A

Correct me if I am wrong, but couldn't line contention be a reason with differing results?

It would effect the speed checker results and downloading from the file fault.

I just got a problem with the speed checker.