Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spamming myself

xon
Grafter

Spamming myself

Hi All
Checked my own domain webmail account which is hosted by PN, this morning and found an email, nominally, originating from my own domain spamming me amongst the usual collection of other spam.
Perhaps I should laugh or smile or something.
4 REPLIES
Ianwild
Grafter

Spamming myself

I get a fair few of those too...

It only takes someone who has you in their address book to become infected with a virus / bot for this to happen. Unfortunately, it's only going to get worse until every software manufacturer, ISP and business globally agrees on the right way to solve the problem and does something about it.

On the plus side, the spam checker seems to be behaving in a much more acceptable for me now. Ultimately though, if someone sends an email addressed to you, our job is to deliver that - Unless we have someone manually reading everyone of your emails, I don't think we can ever put a total stop to problems like this (As I say, at least until the world collects together and decides on the needed changes to the email protocols that currently allow such lax security).

Ian
carrot63
Grafter

Re: Spamming myself

Perhaps I should laugh or smile or something.

Or cringe in fear. Once it starts it tends to breed faster than a nest of rodents.
xon
Grafter

And there's more

You may be right I have now received a second example of me spamming my own domain!

The nominal, but probably not guilty, culprits are:-

1) Telmex Colombia S.A. at ip address 200.26.135.129

2) Telefonica De Argentina at ip address 190.49.198.246

I have already attempted to redirect emails with [-SPAM-] in the subject line to an alternate mailbox, without success.

According to http://lacnic.net these companies own IP addresses 200.26.***.*** and 190.49.***.*** I will now attempt to block both 200.26/16 and 190.49/16 from sending me email using the toolbox tools. For fun?
N/A

Spamming myself

If you are able to block IP addresses through Tools, please let us know how its done.