cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spammed By My Own Email Address

N/A

When I signed up to PN I registerd the domain bigskins.co.uk. I have now started receiving dozens of spam emails everyday to my main PN email address. All these emails are from *something*@bigskins.co.uk ie accounts@bigskins.co.uk, sales@bigskins.co.uk etc I haven't even created these seperate email addresses.

How is this possible? Has someone hijacked my email? Is my email being used to send spam not only to me but other people? What can I do to stop this.
3 REPLIES
N/A

Your email most likely has not been hijacked.
There is nothing you can do.

SMTP (or email) was invented many years ago by a bunch of sandle wearing pot smokers (probably) who didn't think that people may abuse it. They certainly didn't imagine that it would be a tool used by the masses.
Because of this, it is all too easy to forge a from address in an email. You can pretend to be literally anyone you please when sending an email, if you know how.
What you are seeing is a common spammers trick - sending "from" and to the same domain. They do this because in some cases they may be able to bypass anti-spam software because usually it has different rules for emails that appear to be sent "internally" (you don't normally check for spam on the way out). Of course, most IT departments are wise to this now, but the spammer still tries.
N/A

You can blackhole email addresses so the spam will disappear into the ether. Use this link Blackhole for more information.
octafish
Grafter

I spam myself all the time, apparently. I must have words with myself.

Spammers get the domain name and 'Steve' is not exactly uncommon, so like as not I'll get another from 'myself' tomorrow. Mind you, why do some parents in the States saddle their kids with some of the appalling monikers I see on spam.... it's a wonderment.

If it wasn't for Mailwasher Pro I'd have given up the net for semaphore years ago. You can always turn your back on semaphore spam.... and that puts me in mind of a Bolan ditty, I think.

Steve (serial number: XY443567A)