cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[-Spam-]

antdav
Grafter

[-Spam-]

I am receiving a huge amount of spam of late and have subscribed to the Anti-spam filter provided by which recognises and then grades the spam by putting the words [-Spam-] into the title.

This is all well and good if you then set up a filter on MS outlook for example that looks for this during receipt, but as I am a frequent PDA user which doesn't not this faciility I am faced with having to not only download all the headers but to also then deal with all the already recognised spam. As you can imagine this is a right pain and can proove expensive using GPRS! Evil

Why not offer a service whereby users can opt-in to either automatically delete the email or forward it to the black hole? Cheesy

.... please! :?

Many thanks

AntDav
10 REPLIES
N/A

Replying Ivan

Hello AntDav

Sadly, I think your difficulty with spam is highly specific to your use of the PDA and wanting to receive emails on it (nothing wrong with that of course!), whilst I'm NOT unsmpathetic to that problem I think your missing the point I feel. Look technologies like PDA's are different from other machines and so you cannot expect software written specifically for a PDA too neccessarily have the same feature set as a laptop or desktop.

Outlook on a PDA is NOT going to work the same as Outlook on a desktop, so the spam problem is IMO specific to your PDA machine, in other words its a limitation of the PDA and its software (not all computing devices work the same either).

**I've been exceptionally pleased to have had the anti virus and anti spam service since I upgraded to my 2MB ADSL service. No! I dont want an opt in or out option (but I choose the account because of these features) for these AV or AS services they are fine as they are, if it aint broke dont fix it?

Ivan
N/A

[-Spam-]

I am sympathetic to AntDav's situation as I get my email on my phone - though I'm trying very hard not to get any spam on that address! .. so far so good *touches wood*

The problem with deleting all spam without giving you the opportunity to read it is that it can brand ligit emails as spam and you would never get it. TBH I think hotmail's method of dealing with spam is the right way (opt to move it to a separate folder in the account - and delete in 7 (or whatever) days or immediately)... but ya cant pop/imap into that Wink

It would be good to have a spam folder for IMAP users then you only download them if you subscribe to the folder ... but it would be no good for pop users and it may be a lot of work for not a lot of return on plusnet's side. Saying that some kind of a system like that (or even a spam mailbox) would get my backing.

Jarv
N/A

[-Spam-]

Does the email program on your PDA have a filter option? I have mine set up so that it only downloads those messages that do NOT have [-SPAM-] in the subject. This is using Versamail on a Palm (Treo 650) and I don't know what options are available on other PDA's.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

[-Spam-]

Hi,

Does the spam come in to specific addresses e.g. to mail@username.f9.co.uk or to random addresses like jdaskljdas@username.f9.co.uk? If so we can set up blocks, e.g. we can a specific mailbox such as mail by redirecting it into a blackhole, or you can set up the specific addresses and we can blackhole the default mailbox.
antdav
Grafter

[-Spam-]

You are missing my point here....

I know how the mailboxes and black hole work (see original post) it’s just that one of my mailboxes which I have distributed to all me friends and colleagues is being peppered by spam.

My original question was to put forward the idea of an opt -in [-spam-] remover or as suggested maybe automatically move the said [-spam-] into a trash folder (Server Side) to that my trusty PDA can get on with showing me Email that I wish to receive.

I thought it was a good suggestion anyhow...

AntDav
N/A

[-Spam-]

I also think it would be a good idea to have some sort of spam kiler that you can set up. But make it an option that can be switch on or off
David_W
Rising Star

[-Spam-]

It *may* seem like a good idea, however no Spam software is 100%, and you may occasionaly get an email your expecting, that is marked [ Spam ] through which you reply to get it taken off the Spam list. If the email was deleted straight away, you would never get the email you were expecting.

I used to get a lot of spam on my old email account, it got black holed and now I get no spam (none, zero, zilch, its lovely), so your best option is to set up a new email address, blackhole the old one, and just tell all your friends the new email address. Sure its a hassle, but its prefered over the option of losing emails you want because F9 deleted it as [ Spam ].
N/A

[-Spam-]

Does the email program on your PDA have a filter option? I have mine set up so that it only downloads those messages that do NOT have [-SPAM-] in the subject. This is using Versamail on a Palm (Treo 650) and I don't know what options are available on other PDA's.

What we are saying is that the downloading of just the headers to check if they are marked will take a lot of bandwidth if there are enough emails - but I do understand what you are saying.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

[-Spam-]

Got you, yes it is a good idea that has been looked at in the past and may well appear when the next phase of the spam protection is looked at. Not sure when that will be though.
antdav
Grafter

[-Spam-]

OK We've seen the arguments for and against the automatic deletion of these Email's that have been either correctly or incorrectly marked as [-spam-].

I for one have never had a legitimate Email marked as spam, if this has happened to you simply reduce the filter to low or medium or simply do not use it. I am prepared to make the sacrifice of missing the odd Email.

Lets give the customers the choice and leave them make up their own minds.
:roll:

AntDav