cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spam settings

macowens
Grafter

Spam settings

I'm sure its just me but I cannot find a document to explain the differences between the low/medium/high spam settings - can someone point it out for me

Spam seems to be on the increase!!!

Thanks
8 REPLIES
macowens
Grafter

Spam settings

No comments?
N/A

Spam settings

Hi,

I dont think when it comes to the F9 spam filtering service there is anything very complex about it, it does what it says on the tin basically. The higher the setting the greater the level of spam that is filtered, or the higher the setting the tighter the criteria for what is considered spam and what isnt.

**There are two ways in which spam increases, 1) either someone has got hold of your email address or your gave it without knowing or consenting, and its now on a spamming list. Yes! this is real and definately does happen. If this is the case there isnt much you can do about it other than long term change your email address. 2) your email address was exposed to the web by appearing on a website & harvested by a mailbot a robot that tralls the web for mail addresses (so similar outcome to no.1).

**The above may NOT apply to you but frankly, if you have an email address its a sad fact that most people get spammed almost all the time now, its just a part of having an internet service. I get spammed every day, day in day out, it all gets very boring frankly.

**I use a program called Mailwasher Pro in conjunction with the F9 spam service this gives me belt & braces. The F9 service catches the most gross spam and is excellent at that, and anything else that does slip through is caute usually by mailwasher. I just dont worry about spam anymore like I used to when I started out with an internet account/service.

URL for mailwasher see below
http://www.mailwasher.net
http://www.firetrust.com

Ivan
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 62

Spam settings

Hi guys,

If the truth be told, since we switched our SPAM solution to use Spamassassin, the low, Medium and High settings are pretty much rendered irrelevant. The service is either 'on' (Low, Medium or High) or 'off' (Off).

Kind Regards,

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

N/A

Spam settings

Bob, welcome back.

An honest answer to an honest question - that's what I've been missing all this time.
macowens
Grafter

Spam settings

Fair enough - obviously needs updating!!!
blahblah
Grafter

Spam settings

Can I suggest F9 switch back to whatever anti-spam software/service they were using before? The amount of spam I have got over the last few months has increased significantly and is becoming a real pain. Also, what is F9 doing about the spam itself? When we tag something as being spam why are you not communicating with the ISP's from where it originates? Do something.
macowens
Grafter

Spam settings

I seem to be getting a lot more spam in the last week, about 20 emails marked [spam] in my inbox everyday, so I went to look at my spam protection settings and there is no setting, Off/Low/Medium/High are all unticked and if I select Medium or High and click 'Update my Spam Setting' there is still no Off/Low/Medium/High setting saved.
How is it this works?
How can I stop the spam?
orrery
Grafter

Spam settings

I must admit that I found Bob Pullen's response strange.

I use Spamcop to filter my mail, which also uses SpamAssassin - they allow the trigger point to be changed.

SpamAssassin allocates a score to the mail and puts this score in the mail:

X-Spam-Status: hits=0.5 tests=AWL,HTML_MESSAGE,J_CHICKENPOX_31 version=3.1.1

The higher the score, the more spammy the mail.

In the above line the tags indicate Auto White Listing (AWL) which recognises that I get repeated mails from this source which I haven't previously considered as spam, the mail is mainly HTML (bad) and the chickenpox relates to a detection that punctuation (or similar) is being used to split words that may trip the filter. The overall score is 0.5 (good, not spam) - my threshold is set to 3 and the normal threshold is 5. Some spammy mails hit a score of 40 or above.

So, other implementations of SpamAssassin allow near infinite adjustment.

I would really recommend that someone in F9/PlusNet subscribe to a paid Spamcop email account ($30 per year) to see a superb system - an example of how it should be done. I get Spamcop to pop all my mail, filter it and then I collect the remaining mail - the results are very good indeed, I'd guess more than 99.9% accurate.

regards, Ian