cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spam - isn't this obvious???

N/A

I've posted about this before and have asked support for answers, but I don't get why this isn't being dealt with.

We all get spam, it's annoying! But Plusnet happily now label our spam in the header with "[spam]". This is great, my email program now knows what spam is, fine! The problem is I, like many others get about 30 or 40 spam emails a day (on a good day!) and I feel invaded when my trash gets filled with them, even though I don't have to read them?

The question is, what the hell is the "spam" folder in the webmail service for? Plusnet support say "it's not a supported folder currently"?? WHy not? Why can't all those lovingly labelled "[spam]" emails be sent thereHuh If I really want to check for an email that I was expecting but didn't get, I can check that folder if I want, but otherwise the spam can sit there forever for all I care!!!? And I need never know I was getting it sent to me?

I don't understand why this isn't an option? Why can't spam be directed to your plusnet webmail "spam" folder? Come on support, surely it just means putting another check box on the spam settingsHuh?

Geoff.
13 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

The problem is that the webmail folders can only be used by webmail or people using IMAP. POP3 users (which is probably the majority) can't access the folders so a different solution is needed.

There are many other threads discussing this issue - one day they may just listen!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
N/A

Do I see a flying cow over there ?
Community Veteran

It may be a cow, but there's a couple of eggs close behind so it may be something else.
N/A

Eh?

The problem is that the webmail folders can only be used by webmail or people using IMAP. POP3 users (which is probably the majority) can't access the folders so a different solution is needed.

There are many other threads discussing this issue - one day they may just listen!

Elvin, I use pop3? And also have access to webmail? Webmail is there for anyone who has internet access and uses Plusnet email? I don't get why anyone could not access the Webmail?
Community Veteran

I never use webmail - it's too damm slow.

Putting the SPAM in a separate mailbox - now that would really help - and would be accessible to all users.
Ianwild
Grafter

I don't think it is a case of not listening... More that POP3, which most people use, doesn't support a folder structure.

If the teccies in this forum want to help us develop a plan for an effective solution here, we are all ears!

We are developing a number of our 'security' systems, to bring them up to speed with where the leaders are in these areas. That is something that won't come to fruition until the summer though, but suffice it to say that we do have some ideas and we do have a lot of resource allocated to working on this in the coming months.

Regards,

Ian
N/A

Ian,

We all know you can't instantly find a fit-all solution for this, but it must be the case that most people can, if they want to, access webmail using the plusnet site - it's not technically difficult. SO, even until a better solution is found, at least give users the option to move labelled "[spam]" emails into this webmail folder so it doesn't have to be downloaded by pop3? Then at least those who trust the spam labelling done by Plusnet (for which I am one) can make proper use of it and not receive the spam emails? Enev in the unlikely event of it wrongly labelling something as [spam], all people have to do is login to the webmail and look in this folder?

I have never had any emails wrongly labelled as "[spam]" anyway, so it seems to me that it works? But there is a fail safe there anyway? If it was up to me, i'd have another tick box to have all emails labelled "[spam]" returned to sender as non-deliverable, but I know that's not for the feint-hearted!! It could be an option though so people can make a choice about it?

Geoff.

I don't think it is a case of not listening... More that POP3, which most people use, doesn't support a folder structure.

If the teccies in this forum want to help us develop a plan for an effective solution here, we are all ears!

We are developing a number of our 'security' systems, to bring them up to speed with where the leaders are in these areas. That is something that won't come to fruition until the summer though, but suffice it to say that we do have some ideas and we do have a lot of resource allocated to working on this in the coming months.

Regards,

Ian
TheFlyingGribbl
Grafter

I have never had any emails wrongly labelled as "[spam]" anyway, so it seems to me that it works?

Neither had I - until yesterday!

I used to have an Outlook rule to move them all into a spam folder to avoid cluttering up my Inbox. Now I use Mailwasher to do my spam cleaning - anything with [spam] in the title is automatically tagged for deletion, but only gets deleted on my command. It never even reachs my email client.
lingbob
Grafter

The solution has been put forward many times, which has usually received a response along the lines that "POP3 doesn't support a folder structure".

Errrrrrm, so what?

I would have thought that if +Net can mark spam as "spam", they could just as easily move it to a seperate folder IF an individual user wishes them to do so. In other words, offer an OPT-IN service so that users who wish to do so can collect the contents of their default mailbox by POP3 and then periodically check the contents of their "spam" folder through the Webmail interface. Is there some technical reason why this cannot be done?

Martin
N/A

There are problems, but as some have suggested, having an 'opt-in' so that those that are using IMAP can have a special SPAM folder would be a great idea.

On top of this, for POP users, give some simple documentation on how people can use the most common e-mail applications to setup a local mail-rule that moves any e-mail with a [spam] prefix into a separate e-mail box.

Finally, add two e-mail addresses attached to each users subdomain, one called spam@ and one called ham@. This would allows us to teach bayesian filters about our individual usage.

How's that for a starting point? Not ideal, but better than the current situation I'm sure.

Oh, while we're on the subject of mail, why don't I pull up another often-dismissed suggestion. Security! All communication with PlusNet's mail servers is still massively insecure. No SSL and passwords are transmitted in the clear. I don't particularly like having all my passwords freely available like this. Why have PlusNet been so resistant to enable SSL connections (presumable the cost of real certificates) and MD5 or even Kerberos authentication.

If anyone here want's a gmail invite for a free service that has spam filtering, secure web and pop3 access and loads of storage, PM me your e-mail address Wink
Community Veteran

Ian, I made several suggestions here for solutions that would work for POP3 users and webmail.
N/A

This is the problem, lots of us have suggested many ways to improve the system over recent months (and longer) in both these forums and the now dead Ideas and suggestions forum. All of which have seemingly been ignored.
Also, while I think it's great to get feedback from customers, shouldn't it be the ISP with the expertise to come up with a sound solution?
Eserim
Rising Star

We all get spam, it's annoying!

Er actually we don't. I don't, well hardly any, about 2 a month.

Mainly because I use the one feature that Plus Net still seems to be unique in and that is offering unlimited real POP boxes, so every time I have to use a email address I use something relevant to that site (eg amazon@domainname)

If/when these get spammed - and most aren't ones I've used, just things like admin@domainname and other such guesses I then forward them to +Nets blackhole.

Result, minimal spam, can't recall the last one, must have been about a month ago.

Chris