Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spam folder - auto deleting contents

fotobits
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Following the directing of spam into a mailbox's Spam Folder is this spam automatically deleted from the folder after a period of time, or has the user to periodically clear this folder manually?

Regards and thanks.....Noel
18 REPLIES
madjbright
Grafter

I think that the spam is deleted after 30 days, but I cannot confirm this from the FAQs.
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 159

Emails in the SPAM folder should automatically be deleted after 30 days. This gives you enough time to move any that have been tagged incorrectly back to your inbox.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
fotobits
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Many thanks David and Chris for your speedy respones.

Regards....Noel
Tigger
Grafter

Emails in the SPAM folder should automatically be deleted after 30 days. This gives you enough time to move any that have been tagged incorrectly back to your inbox.

Have just checked my spam folder, and I seem to have spam in there that is over 30 days old? I have manually removed those with dates that were back in 2001, 2002 etc, and am left with 270, of which the oldest is dated 1 June 2007.

Am I missing something here? :?
Mand
Grafter

Hi there,

As the new webmail uses IMAP you will see any mail which has been left on our servers previously.

We only introduced the spam filtering into a mailbox a little over a month ago, so any email stored prior to that will not have been automatically deleted.
Tigger
Grafter

Hello Mand,

No, this is all Spam received since the new webmail and the new Spam folder.

Having said that, 4 days worth disappeared overnight, so I assume it is now working!
Cheesy
p_w_d_stone
Grafter

Don't forget a great deal of spam will have past dates that don't reflect the actual sending date.
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 62

Hi all,

Email in the 'Spam' folder should indeed be deleted after 30 days. We're were actually looking at reducing this to 14 days though as per the Community Site News Article.

Having said that, some have expressed concern over this as they don't think it's long enough. What are peoples' thoughts. Do we think 21 days would be sufficient?

Have just checked my spam folder, and I seem to have spam in there that is over 30 days old? I have manually removed those with dates that were back in 2001, 2002 etc, and am left with 270, of which the oldest is dated 1 June 2007.

I suspect that this email will have been delivered within the last 30 days. Our system will look at the date the email was actually delivered and not the date the sending machine was configured to use when the spam was sent. The email headers would confirm or deny this.

Kind Rgds,

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

madjbright
Grafter

I think that you have to give people time to check their Spam folder. If you set the time to 14 days and people go on vacation for 2 weeks then they will not be able to check all of the mail received in that time. 21 days seems reasonable to me assuming that most people cannot get away on vacation for that long.
thehatman
Grafter

21 days please. Or a choice.
Community Veteran

A choice would be great. I have found that though the Spam filter doesn't pick up all my spam, everything that goes into the Spam folder is Spam.

However, I will be opting for the fourth option, as descibed in Bob's post, whereby all the emails marked as [-SPAM-] will be automatically deleted before they even reach my Inbox or the newly introduced ‘Spam’ folder.
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

We have asked if it is possible to have a choice of the amount of days but this would take some considerable development work and at this stage we would prefer to concentrate on more important issues.

We'll let you know any decision that is made with regards the length of time the emails are left in the spam folder.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
N/A

With BTYahoo mail, I get just as much spam as with PN but alongside the spam folder is a command [empty] so I can clear it without having to display the headers. With PN, I have to display the headers, 'select all' and then 'delete'.
Could PN implement such a command?
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

I'll certainly ask this question internally for you.
At the moment the email will automatically be removed after the set period anyway.
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team