cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spam filter not working so well recently

N/A

Am I the only one who has noticed that the plusnet spam filter seems to have lost all effectiveness over the last couple of days.

I have been with PN over a year and have never had a spam email, yesterday 2, today 6. Yes, I know those are low numbers but I am hoping its not the opening of spam floodgates Sad

I use Thunderbird email client and am training it to recognise the junk but any other suggestions to stop this rubbish in its tracks?
2 REPLIES
N/A

AFAIK the spam filter doesn't actually stop the mail from getting to you, it simply tags it as '[SPAM]' so your mail rules can filter it into a spam box or delete it from the server. If you've never had any tagged like that before, its likely that you just never had any spam anyway.

Apart from mail filters, there's not much you can actually DO tbh. Not using your real address (or altering it slightly) for any usetnet postings is one. Some companies will sell on e-mail addresses so be careful there, be careful about posting it on web pages or in submit forms. etc

Some people use a different address for each company (eg: for all amazon purchases use "amazon@blahblah.plus.com" and so on) this way its easier to track back where the spam was originally started from, but again it isn't 100%.
N/A

thats exactly how I have it set up, amazon and play are the only 2 sites I have my address. The spams were to another email address at my pn domain which I have never even used anywhere. Sad (thats what hotmails for Smiley )