cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spam avoidance

N/A

Spam avoidance

Is there a technique beginners should know re how to post to newsgroups without subsequently getting bombarded with spam.
Suggestions welcomed
4 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Spam avoidance

> Is there a technique beginners should know re how to post to newsgroups without subsequently getting bombarded with spam.
> Suggestions welcomed

Hi,

All I can say is jump in and give it a go! You can see from prior posts what is going on and you can choose from there if you wish to reply to the post/s or not. Dont be shy, just go for it.

If you do have any problems, please let me know.

Regards,

Dave

--
| David Scarpa...................Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Senior Technical Consultant...........for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd............@ http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet -----
N/A

> All I can say is jump in and give it a go! You can see from prior posts what is going on and you can choose from there if you wish to reply to the post/s or not. Dont be shy, just go for it.

All I can say is wait for the floodgates to open. Spam mail is rife on newsgroups and as a direct result of this I refuse to use them. If you must use them get an aol account (lol) and use that address then just ignore your mail! You can of course set your browser to ignore certain incoming addresses as well.
Regards To All,
Mark.

--
Regards,
Mark Henderson.
(thetop)
www.sussexbridalcars.co.uk
N/A

> All I can say is wait for the floodgates to open. Spam mail is rife on newsgroups and as a direct result of this I refuse to use them. If you must use them get an aol account (lol) and use that address then just ignore your mail! You can of course set your browser to ignore certain incoming addresses as well.
> Regards To All,

Hi Mark,

This can sometimes be true, however you should not let this put you off using the newsgroups. Many people use them and manage any unwanted mail by using their email programs 'Blocked senders list / mail rules' feature.

Please let me know if I can help you with anything else.

Regards,

Dave

--
| David Scarpa Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Senior Technical Consultant for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd @ http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet -----
N/A

Leszek Koziol wrote:

> Is there a technique beginners should know re how to post to newsgroups without subsequently getting bombarded with spam.
> Suggestions welcomed

Some people put a spam trap in their newsgroup posts giving their e-mail address as something like oldsod@myshoesusername.plus.com. Usually their sig will then contain a message to "remove 'my shoes" to reply.

I use a different technique. My from address is factitious, so any posts to that address get rejected before they have traversed the net. My reply address is genuine but specially set up on a different ISP (0845) so any posts to that address will reach me but I know they are from someone on the newsgroups.

Tried posting this last night but strange things happened and it did not appear.

Regards,

Brian

--
Brian