cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spam Filter

N/A

Spam Filter

I would dearly love to see the Spam Filter upgraded pretty soonish. Getting spoofed gmail emails, that aren't being detected as spam by the filter. (Google say it doesn't originate from them, unfortunately - but thats a different problem).

What I would like to see is to allow the user to manually enter e-mail addresses into a black and white list. Each entry can be the full e-mail address or a wildcarded one.

So *@gmail.com would stop ALL gmail.com e-mails, whilst junk@gmail.com would only stop junk@gmail.com

Likewise *@G* would block all e-mail address that have a domain name starting with G

Oh, and I would like the choice of what happens to the spam - whether it actually arrives at my PC's email program marked as spam or automatically deleted before it arrives there.
9 REPLIES
holdtight
Grafter

Spam Filter

Although i agree this would be a good feature of the plusnet spam filter to have i cant see it being applied any time soon if at all

What you could try is something like Mailwasher which will allow you to do what your asking of the plus spam filter but from your desktop such as setting up black and white lists, total blocking of certain ip addresses or complete domains and also deleting any emails you dont want directly from the server and it comes in a free for personal use version or a pro version which is still quite cheap for a decent program

I use the free version and can highly recommend it but if you do try it dont be tempted to bounce mails back as they rarely come from the originating mail address and it just adds more net congestion

Bill.
N/A

Spam Filter

I only recently switched on my plusnet spam filter (due to a huge increase in spam).
I was surprised to find that it merely marks suspect emails with [spam].

Unfortunately it also sometimes detects legitimate emails as spam and lets loads of actual spam through without being detected - so it isn't really much use.

I'm used to getting all sorts of spam and phishing emails,pretending to be from ebay, amazon,paypal,various banks etc, but today I got one purporting to be from visa and asking me to log-in to my account because my visa card has been hacked.

This particular one almost got me,because the only link (I have all incoming emails set to 'plain text' ) was the one at the bottom of this extract :roll: :

Probably, your card issuers have not updated information yet. That is why we strongly recommend you to visit our website and update your profile, otherwise we cannot guarantee stolen money repayment. Thank you for your attention. Click here and update your profile. -- This email has been verified as Virus free Virus Protection and more available at http://www.plus.net
N/A

Spam Filter

More user control over the spam features would be a boon for many customers (confusing to some though so it should be optional in some sort of advanced section). Even having a spam/ham e-mail address for each user's subdomain may help let advanced users tweak things, but portal-based control would be a great selling feature than few other mail providers or ISP's have.
That said, I don't think I've received any spam (definitely very little) in my plusnet mailboxes for the last couple of years. I can't say the same for my gmail account.
N/A

Spam Filter

I would prefer not to use external programs, as I've got 2 computers plus several PDA's that can receive e-mails from my account, and having to find appropriate software for the PDA would be annoying...
JonathanW
Grafter

Spam Filter

When it comes to blocking all email from a specific domain, this is something that we can offer. Though its not part of the spam filtering and you have to raise a ticket in order to have the domain blocked.
N/A

Spam Filter

Do the spam filters use Bayesian learning? Would it be possible to have spam and ham e-mail addresses to help advanced users train this (i.e. spam@<user>.plus.net and ham@<user>.plus.net addresses which only accept mail from the user)?
JonathanW
Grafter

Spam Filter

Under the current system it isn't possible to train the filter for your specific addresses. This used to be available but when we upgraded the email platform the spam filtering software was changed and no longer supports it.
N/A

Spam Filter

Thanks Jon, I seems to have a vague memory of something along these lines being available once.
Cheers.
N/A

Spam Filter

I'll send a support ticket then...