cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spam Email Filter System

N/A

Spam Email Filter System

I don't know if anyone has made this suggestion, and forgive me if they have.

On the portal there is the option to prefix spam with [SPAM] so that a rule can be setup in Outlook to move spam to a different folder or delete.

Could the email system be changed to have a similar option, say a seperate account and any spam mail would be sent to that, this could then be checked seperately.

I also use a yahoo email account and they have this system. I use a PDA to check my emails during the day and with the yahoo pop service I never get spam emails, as they prevent these from being downloaded.

Also, maybe have a white and black list on the portal. This would ensure that any addresses that are valid won't accidently be marked as spam because of there content.

I feel a system like this would definately reduce the amount of spam downloaded, but still give the option to view them if needed.
27 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Spam Email Filter System

This has been asked for by users for as long as I can remember being with PN, see to the left for how long I have been with PN!

PN wish to implement the simplist possible thing for them which is to just delete any message they would have tagged as [-SPAM-]. This is not what users want though. :x

What users want is discussed here http://usergroup.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,4777.0.html

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
garywood84
Grafter

Spam Email Filter System

I've just recently raised a ticket about this idea, so if you're interested in it, please post here so we can give PN an idea of the interest level.

My thinking was that if I could have all messages flagged as [-SPAM-] sent to a separate mailbox (spam@username), then I could check that via IMAP, rather than POP3 as I do my other accounts. The advantages of this are:

• No need to download full message, just the headers.
  • You get the chance to check what's being filtered off, so nothing incorrectly flagged as spam is automatically deleted.

To prevent mail servers getting clogged up if people don't clear their spam boxes, then PN could implement a maximum size, after which the oldest messages get deleted automatically. A warning email that this is about to start happening could be sent to the default account email address when the spam box is 90% full.

Please add your name to this thread if you'd like this facility as an option!

Thanks,

Gary
gm4jjj
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Spam Email Filter System

The latest bulletin from PN mentioned they are implementing this ASAP.

"We will be emailing all of our customers later today to detail our plans for dealing with Spam in the future. One of the most frequent requests from our customers is to have the ability not to download Spam. Next week, as part of our ongoing improvements, we will offer our customers this option, thus reducing the impact of Spam."
Mand
Grafter

Spam Email Filter System

Yep, we're looking at making numerous changes which were on the development stack for the coming months, and will be emailing customers to let them know about the new options shortly.
Nick_Russell
Grafter

Re: Spam Email Filter System

On the portal there is the option to prefix spam with [SPAM] so that a rule can be setup in Outlook to move spam to a different folder or delete.

I use Message Rules set to "Do not download from server" any email prefixed with [SPAM]. Then periodically I just check my in box using PlusNet's webmail (or mail2web) in case some emails have been marked in error.

This is better that just deleting [SPAM] emails as it allows you to check before deleting but you don't have to download.

Moderators note by James (sallyandjames) : Removed duplicate posts.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I use Message Rules set to "Do not download from server" any email prefixed with [SPAM].

I can't find this option when creating a rule, you only have options for after a message has arrived. What version of Outlook? Is this an IMAP specific option? (I use POP3)
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Nick_Russell
Grafter

Spam Email Filter System

Sorry my mistake, this rule only available in Outlook Express.

However in Outlook can't you create a Rule to move mail to a spam folder and then delete it or directly move spam to the Deleted items folder?
Liam
Grafter

I use Message Rules set to "Do not download from server" any email prefixed with [SPAM]. Then periodically I just check my in box using PlusNet's webmail (or mail2web) in case some emails have been marked in error.

This is better that just deleting [SPAM] emails as it allows you to check before deleting but you don't have to download.

Moderators note by James (sallyandjames) : Removed duplicate posts.

This is very similar to what we're going to be doing. Except that we'll move it from your inbox into an IMAP 'Spam' folder. You'll be able to see if it you connect via IMAP, or if you login via Webmail. We'll then hold on to the [-SPAM-] for 30 days before purging it.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Spam Email Filter System

However in Outlook can't you create a Rule to move mail to a spam folder and then delete it or directly move spam to the Deleted items folder?

I already do that - I was attracted by the idea of not downloading it in the first place.

At the moment I keep Magic Mail Monitor permanently open and kill the spam before I send/receive.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran

Spam Email Filter System

Liam, will the option to divert SPAM to a separate folder be across all mailboxes or will you need to set it for each one? I'd prefer the former - less SPAM folders to monitor.

Bob
garywood84
Grafter

Spam Email Filter System

Having just read the status update, which referred to this post: http://usergroup.plus.net/pugit/view.php?id=306, I'm disappointed to read ianwild's post there in which he says:

'Deliver to this mailbox' option is the only one we can't see much point in - If it's a case of priorities, we'd like to save that one for now, but the rest is being specced.

I think this is missing the point! Moving spam to a folder called "spam" within each mailbox (the solution which Plus are implementing, according to the above post) means that users will have to check every single mailbox they have via IMAP in order to get rid of the spam!

Moving spam to a specified mailbox (say spam@username) regardless of which account it is originally sent to, would allow users to continue checking their main mailboxes through whatever method they prefer (POP3, in my case), and would only need to check the spam mailbox via IMAP, in order to avoid having to download the messages.

Please reconsider this, Plus!

Please add your support to this post if you agree with me!

Thanks,

Gary
Nick_Russell
Grafter

This is very similar to what we're going to be doing. Except that we'll move it from your inbox into an IMAP 'Spam' folder. You'll be able to see if it you connect via IMAP, or if you login via Webmail. We'll then hold on to the [-SPAM-] for 30 days before purging it.

BT Openworld has this system and its excellent - works very well. Are you going to use the same system and software now you're in the BT family?
garywood84
Grafter

Spam Email Filter System

Nick,

Do you only have one mailbox? The system would work very well in that case, but if you have multiple mailboxes, you'll have to check them all, individually, by IMAP (the only way to see the spam folder), and delete the spam from each one.

Gary
Nick_Russell
Grafter

Spam Email Filter System

Yes I do it seems much easier. I then use message rules to collect each person's mail.I have never really seen the point of setting up several mailboxes on the PlusNet system but maybe I'm missing a trick.