Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spam/Email Deliverables Update

Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 62

Morning all,

I have just posted an update to the Community Site detailing the next batch of improvements we'll be making to the Manage My Mail tool as well as an update on some of the promised spam deliverables following the Webmail incident.

You can see the article here.

Hopefully this will help some of you further reduce the volumes of spam being received to your mailboxes.

Please keep any questions and feedback to this thread where possible.

Cheers,

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

19 REPLIES
mapletree
Grafter

Thanks for this. There are some useful changes here.

I have a question: If we switch off the virtual domain will we be able to block spam sent to the postmaster@hostname.plus.com address?

M
Community Veteran

The ability to turn off @username.plus.com and to automatically delete spam are both very appealing: I just looked through my junk folder, and out of the 88 pieces of junk I received yesterday, I would have only received 2 (!) if the above two facilities had already been in place. So suffice to say I'm looking forward to all the improvements - thanks Bob for updating us.
N/A

Excuse me if I am being a bit thick here, but just to clarify I assume the 'Virtual Domain' is our existing username.plus.com address and not our new domain address.

Edit :- Oops sorry should have scrolled down and read the complete article. Shockedops:
Community Veteran

We will shortly be making a slight change to the way in which this works and will be deleting email in the Spam folder every 14 days as opposed to 30.

Please do not do this until you really have the SPAM filter accurate as until then the risk of false postives and somebody being off on 2 weeks holiday is too high. Sad

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
p_w_d_stone
Grafter

Rename Default Mailbox

In the fight against spam, you may have recently taken the decision to switch off your ‘catch-all‘ email address. What this does is allow you to receive only email to the addresses you actually use. One thing this doesn’t do though, is prevent email being sent to your ‘default’ email address. This is the address that is given to you when you first sign up and is normally in the format

I presume you will have to delete any existing mailbox with the same name before renaming the default mailbox- i.e. if you want to rename username@username.plus.com to user1@username.plus.com you will have to delete existing any existing mailbox/alias/redirect named "user1".
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for this. There are some useful changes here.

I have a question: If we switch off the virtual domain will we be able to block spam sent to the postmaster@hostname.plus.com address?

Hi,

Switching off the virtual domain would block *all* email sent to your username.plus.com addresses.

You would still receive email to postmaster@free-domain.tld though.

If you want to block all postmaster email then you can normally set up a redirect to blackhole@abuse.plus.com (even if you have a postmaster alias pointing to your default mailbox).

Kind Rgds,

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team

Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I presume you will have to delete any existing mailbox with the same name before renaming the default mailbox- i.e. if you want to rename username@username.plus.com to user1@username.plus.com you will have to delete existing any existing mailbox/alias/redirect named "user1".

Yes Peter, that is what I understand to be the case.

@godsell4, thanks for the feedback I will ensure it's passed on. I did foresee this causing a problem, and if it's going to then we can always reconsider implementing it. Your concerns have also been voiced in the thread over on the Usergroup forums. Would 21 days suit?

Kind Rgds,

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team

Community Veteran

Hi Bob,

Yep, 21 is certainly preferable. Can we keep everyone happy? Wink

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
terminal
Grafter

We’re set to make this easier for users of our Webmail system by introducing ‘Spam’ and ‘Not Spam’ buttons to the SquirrelMail interface. This will allow you to train our spam filters at the touch of a button

from the image that goes with this statement it looks like these buttons are available when you read a message. Will they (or at least the 'Spam' button) also be available in the inbox list view, as I refuse to read a spam email so that I can then tell you that it is spam - we should be able to tick any spam emails in the inbox list and with one button indicate they are spam.
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

from the image that goes with this statement it looks like these buttons are available when you read a message. Will they (or at least the 'Spam' button) also be available in the inbox list view, as I refuse to read a spam email so that I can then tell you that it is spam - we should be able to tick any spam emails in the inbox list and with one button indicate they are spam.

As far as I know they will be on the inbox view too. I will ask Colin to confirm as he's doing the work for this.

Kind Rgds,

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team

Community Veteran

It will appear on the Inbox view as well as the individual message views.
N/A

Just made this suggestion on the Community post:

I have another suggestion, regarding the problems with short emails not training the spam filter: please can we have a user level blacklist for subject words? In addition to other improvements this would help all those people who are trying to protect children etc. from the barrage of spam with obscene subject content.
I know the obvious downsides to this, like subject words being changed by spammers to get round such filtering (by using alternative spellings etc). But I think it will help quite a few PlusNet customers and if they update their blacklists often enough that should deal with *this type of spam.

* spam emails that have offensive subject/titles but are short & have little content, which are not much use to the dspam trainer. The dspam trainer doesn't weight subject content, so an alternative approach seems necessary.
MrToast
Grafter

It would be a waste of effort to provide tools for a particualar narrow aspect of SPAM. Next thing you know the nature has shifted again.

If you want to control your own content filtering then you can do so. There are a number out there. I've used Popfile to great effect.

So far as the infrastructure provided by ISP's is concerned better to go for the long term such as; what do you know of the policy of sending networks.

Currently SPAM accounts for 90% of internet email. With the global spread of broadband and the growth in processing power of PC's then without any structural changes in the system the capacity of the bot nets can only increase.
mapletree
Grafter

Switching off the virtual domain would block *all* email sent to your username.plus.com addresses.

You would still receive email to postmaster@free-domain.tld though.

If you want to block all postmaster email then you can normally set up a redirect to blackhole@abuse.plus.com (even if you have a postmaster alias pointing to your default mailbox).

Thanks. I only want to block the spam. 100% of email sent to my postmaster@username.plus.com address is spam.

I'm not sure how useful the new option on the "spam protection settings" is. The spam filter is not very accurate IME so deleting tagged messages immediately is very risky. I would have rather seen added the option to send all tagged emails to a single mailbox implemented at this stage.

M