cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Source Code Of Portal and Forums

Community Veteran

Since PN rely heavilly on open source solutions (read in post by comms team if anyone wants to be pedantic will find and quote it at such a time ;-) ) why not release the source code for the forums and portal obviopusly stripped of passwords etc.

This would give back to the opensource community and allow PN users to test mods before suggesting them for the forums. The reason normally given for rejection of a mod is that it may not work in the portal environment without heavy modifacation, well why not let the suggestor prove it works in the portal environment?

o.k. this would be a fairly big undertaking but not impossible the source is sitting on the servers already it would just need stripped of sensitve info and realised as is with out warranty kinda thing.
16 REPLIES
Community Veteran

PlusNet use open source products but they dont provide them back, but they do sell code if you are that interested.

The forums are heavily integrated into thier database it would be impossible to get acurate testing. Also PlusNet have full Q+A testing in place so its not this that is the problem for them, its development time to implement things.

Chris
Community Veteran

The idea was that the person who wanted the mod would do the modifacations, hence save PN the work, also I didn't know that they sold the source to their solutions. never mind, just an Idea.
csogilvie
Grafter

The forums are already open-source: http://www.phpbb.com/
Community Veteran

I know, but haven't they been modified to work with the portal?
csogilvie
Grafter

I would suspect only the authentication and templating stuff, but I wouldn't really know...
N/A

using phpbb wasnt a smart move for plus net, the exploits for phpbb are crazy. And since phpbb only catch wave of exploits AFTER sites have been exploited its just not useful, i would have recommended vbulletin tbh.
Community Veteran

Isn't vbulletin paid though? Personally I like phpBB.
kwhawell
Grafter

are the forums based on PHP BBS? I would think that if they are, you could probably get a hold of the code for this type of forum system readily enough.
the problem is though, that because of the clever way that PN intigrate them in to the portal, it would be difficult to emulate the behaviour of this intigration unless you get the portal code too for testing with.
Community Veteran

Yes, the forums here are based on phpBB, for which the dsource is freely avaiable, the problem comes with the integration ;-)
N/A

I'd recommend vanilla

www.getvanilla.com
csogilvie
Grafter

I can't see the forums being changed, although personally I like SMF.
N/A

I am actually now rather a fan of WTC.

Its got some nice features on it, which would be of help to some.

Warning levels with different points depending on the severity, quick reply box, a very extensive user CP and so forth.
Unlike phpBB it doesnt use an overwhelmin amount of images and hence forth runs faster and smoother, this is in my opinion though.

Regards,
Community Veteran

Could you give a linky all google gives is stuff on the world trade center :?
N/A

Hey Dan,

Lol sure mate Here mate

Hope this helps you.

Regards,