cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Soulseek at less than 1kBps

N/A

I have setup portforwarding correctly for all my p2p activities. ALthough i seem to get 50kB/50kB (up/down) on bittorent which is in no way fast but is tolerable, my speeds on soulseek are disgusting to say the least. Although connected to soulseek all day, i am not a heavy user. However, since joining plusnet i hardly ever achieve speeds greater than 1-2kBps in total, even from when downloading from multiple users, i am restricted to as little a 50bits per second! Is there anything I can do about without changing ISP? Thanks
6 REPLIES
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

Which account type are you on? If it's Broadband Plus then that's the likely reason for the speeds. Broadband Plus isn't designed for P2P and the traffic gets the lowest priority on our network, so at peak times in particular speeds on P2P on Broadband Plus will be very low.

If you are going to be regularly using this then you would be better off on either PAYG or Premier.
parish
Grafter

If you are going to be regularly using this then you would be better off on either PAYG or Premier.

You won't be any better off on Premier - where P2P and Usenet are in the Silver queue - because the speeds I get (Premier) are just as bad.

David, the peak/off-peak bands are, to all intents and purposes, irrelevant. I did a test last week and found that both P2P (BitTorrent) and binary Usenet speeds started plummeting from around 9am. By midday they were down to less than dialup speeds and even by 2am the following morning they still had only got up to 2-3 times dialup speed. At this point I gave up and went to bed, but it seems that, based on these speeds, in reality that peak time is 9am-3am.

If this is the performance is deemed acceptable for the silver queue then perhaps it is time to pack my bags and go, although I don't really want to as, apart from this, I'm happy with PN - even Cs has improved significantly Cheesy
James
Grafter

Whilst I won't comment on P2P, last night I saw:

~60kBps at 10pm
~100kBps at 11pm
~250kBps at 1am

That's on Premier, using ten threads.
parish
Grafter

Whilst I won't comment on P2P, last night I saw:

~60kBps at 10pm
~100kBps at 11pm
~250kBps at 1am

Which ISP was that with James :lol:

Seriously, I don't see anything like those speeds at those times - but I'll try tonight for comparison.

As a test, I've currently got a torrent of d/ling with hundreds of seeds and peers but it's limping along at around dialup speed, yet I've just d/l Windows Media Player 11 via http and it flew down at over 200kbytes/sec (2.5Mbps connection) so clearly it's not exchange contention affecting the speed.

OK, I know it's peak time now, but d/ling via http at top speed has the same impact on the network - and hence other users - as d/ling the same via P2P (or binary Usenet) so surely it is large downloads on any protocol that should be restricted?
N/A

I am willing to accept the fact that you cap your p2p speeds during 4pm and 12am, but what is the point in claiming that speeds are unlimited any time other than that, when even in the early hours of the morning, i get horrific speeds in the region of those offered on a dialup account. Also, since i am on something like a 2 (or 4, do not remember) GB limit during peak time, isnt this enough to stop me from using P2P to excessive extents? As an additional note, i would like to say that should i have known about this I would have definitely not subscribed to plusnet, which is a shame since apart from this i am happy with your service and customer support

All the best
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Seriously, I don't see anything like those speeds at those times - but I'll try tonight for comparison.

I can comment on P2P, I set a couple of torrents downloading between midday and 4pm and they downloaded fairly steadily between about 100-180KB/s. uTorrent pauses the downloads during peak times, so I can't tell you what it did after that. When they pick up at midnight I'd expect probably similar speeds which will pick up the later it gets.

As a test, I've currently got a torrent of d/ling with hundreds of seeds and peers but it's limping along at around dialup speed

Is that hundreds of seeds and hundreds of peers? If so it may not be able to give you that much faster. Torrents rely on the upload speeds of others and how many others are downloading. The more that are downloading the less of the upload you'll get. Does the client you are using show the speeds other people are getting (uTorrent does this) and I'll often find that when I'm getting slower torrents, checking this will show that just about everyone else is seeing the same.

yet I've just d/l Windows Media Player 11 via http and it flew down at over 200kbytes/sec (2.5Mbps connection) so clearly it's not exchange contention affecting the speed.

No, but that doesn't mean that the torrent can give you a speed of 200KB/s even without traffic management. At peak time I would expect P2P speeds to be lower than off peak because that's how the network is designed, and yes some people have seen lower speeds than we would expect to see and that there may be a combination of factors.

Just looking at the Windows Media Player download, you say it same down at over 200KB/s, but with a sync rate of 2.5Mbps maybe it could have been a bit quicker than that, so there's a little exchange contention. From there, if the torrent for other people is downloading at an average speed of say 20KB/s then combining that with the contention and the silver traffic it gives a mix of reasons for being slower.

OK, I know it's peak time now, but d/ling via http at top speed has the same impact on the network - and hence other users - as d/ling the same via P2P (or binary Usenet) so surely it is large downloads on any protocol that should be restricted?

It's one of those difficult situations. Sustained heavy downloads will have the same kind of impact but Usenet and P2P are the big usage protocols here for this type of usage, which is why they get a lower priority on the network. As we develop and evolve the traffic management then part of the idea is to allow customers to control this more themselves.

BT's IPStream service was never designed for prolonged heavy downloads in the first place of any kind. The idea was to develop a broadband service for bursty traffic, but what we are starting to see with Max is a shift in usage with Video on Demand, VoIP, etc. emerging and people using filesharing applications, but the design of IPStream starts to show its age. The traffic management now is designed to give the priority to interactive traffic, but of course some non-interactive traffic will also get picked up (for example how does it tell the difference between you downloading files from microsoft.com and just viewing the pages telling you about Vista?). This is one of the reasons where the peak time allowances come in. Yes, you can download over HTTP in gold, but you still only have a certain peak time allowance before you reach level 1 management. So the combination of things encourages the off peak use for the non-interactive traffic,

At the moment the network is intelligent, but it's going to be moreso. It'll give more control to you the customer and the upcoming Broadband Connect product from BT is designed with the video on demand and VoIP and stuff like that in mind.