N/A

Sort my connection or cancel my contract

July 20 Broadband Activated,payment £52.99 taken from my account
July 25 Question 19908745 unable to get connection
July 30 Question closed in error by Plusnet
July 31 New Question opened 19946108
Aug3 New Question opened 19974018 re cancellation of account
Aug 4 Informed cancellation will need 30 days notice,
Hardware fee £30 + 10 months outstanding contract payment.
Unable to refund my £52.99 due to still under investigation.
Aug 8 I email with my intention of contacting Ofcom and
BBC Watchdog.
Aug 8 BT call me asking more questions re problem.
This is a brief description of my problems.In between I have spent much time on the 0845 number with little positive response when I do eventually get through.In many years in business the way Plusnet have treated my problem is the poorest example of customer service I have encountered.They want me to pay them to leave a contract that has never yet offered a service.If anyone from Plusnet reads this please put me out of my misery and refund my £52.99 that was paid in good faith and let me go elsewhere.If not maybe Ofcom is the last resort.
20 REPLIES
N/A

Plusnet are not registered with Ofcom...

Also, no one else will be interested unless you give PN a fair case, which includes following there complaints procedure and sending recorded delivery letters.

Under the distance trading act you would have been given 14 days to cancel your contract from the day you agreed to it. After that, it usually has to run it's full course unless PN change or break the contract.
N/A

Thanks for your reply
N/A

Hi there,

This has been raised to the Comms Team for you and hopefully you'll hear somthing soon.
N/A

Thanks Mark hopefully some good news will come way
James
Grafter

Hi,

The response we got from BT, was that they had called you, and it became apparent that the telephone system may be responsible for the problems that you are suffering.

They also state that you were unwilling to accept the potential call out charge that may be levied if the problem is being caused by your hardware.

They are unable to progress further unless you accept that there is a potential fee is the problem is found to be caused at your end.
N/A

And that James is the biggest problem with UK broadband (this is nt specific to plus net) The general public do not have the confidence to diagnose equipment/configuration fault over a line fault. Sometimes the users telephone can work perfectly but ADSL not work and its a line fault. Othertimes users may not get an ADSL light on their router at all, have it plugged into the master socket and its a fault on the router itself. Who has an additional router to test?

Plus net do ask the right questsions and quite rightly say try differnet filters etc to try and pin it down before the call goes to BT. But then when people are told -oh by the way if we think your line is OK we're gonna charge you a call out? It just seems a little unfair. I've seen many sad cases of people being charged and caught out when all symptons have pointed to a line fault and it wasnt.

One of which was someone who had a wireless router, the wiresless bit of the router worked fine, coudl connect to it, could ping it, but it just wouldnt get an ADSL light, evne on factory reset or anything, it just kept saying activating. Sure it was a BT fault, out they came "nothing wrong with your line mate".
James
Grafter

Agree with you there, but unfortunately all we can is pass on the message.
N/A

James
It is true what you say that I did tellthe BT engineer when he called that I thought the problem may be caused by the line going into my phone system.As I have already informed Plus Net a week ago , I took it upon myself to ask a friend who is a BT engineer to give me his advice.If this is the cause of my problem why should I pay to have another ADSL socket fitted to solve the problem.When I took out the contract with Plusnet and was told the line is ok for broadband I was never asked if I had any type of phone system in my office and that may incur extra costs.Surely by knowing this is a business line would it not occur to your sales team that this could happen or I am I the first business to try and get broadband on to a 2 phone system
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

I've added BT's comments to the ticket for you. Normally a PBX system or switchboard is flagged up as an incompatible product on the line and BT won't allow broadband on the line. If the switchboard isn't fitted by BT then they won't have a record of this to know that it is on the line. As such as far as they and we would be concerned the broadband service should work on that phoneline as there are no products or services that they no of that will stop broadband from working.

If you have installed 3rd party telephony equipment on the line then that isn't something we can actually help with and the only thing I can suggest is to liase with the suppliers to find a way of setting the telephony equipment up with the broadband service.
N/A

The phone system we are using consists of two phones (LG GDK-16 system). Surely this should be no problem at all for Broadband to work. This situation is now beyond a joke. I have paid £52 on 20th July for the activation of the phone line and since then I have had nothing but unhelpful service from all at PlusNet. Since the activation of the phone line I have not once connected to the Internet via Broadband due to technical problems which PlusNet cannot help me overcome. If this doesn't get resolved in the next 48 hours, I will have no other option but to cancel my direct debit and post back all equipment that you have sent me. I am certainly not paying you a monthly fee for a service that you are not providing. I will then register with a Broadband company who does not have the numerous problems that you clearly have.
Community Veteran

Have you tried disconnecting the phone system completely from the line to see if it is causing the problems with ADSL?
N/A

Sorry but I am not able to that.It would require a BT engineer for that.Thanks for trying to help.Maybe I will have to ask my BT acquaintance for further advice.
N/A

If your on a yearly contract, then you can't simply post the equipment back and cancel the direct debit. PN will require 30 days notice of cancellation, which will include the remainding 10 months of subscription.
N/A

I understand what you are saying Squidgey but whats the answer.If in another 3 weeks time I still have no service do I give up and just carry on paying for a contract Plusnet have not fulfilled