cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something strange

Fixes: 116

Something strange

I keep my mother's PC up-to-date with anti-virus, anti-spy & ant-adware and regularly (at ;least once a week) do a complete system check and update (although automatic updates for all software & windows is set).

Today she rang to say she could not access the internet at all. She is on BBYW 1 with the Voyger 210 Router.

After getting her to go through the usual checks (wiring, reboot, etc) still there was no internet although the DSL, power and Ethernet lights were on.

I got her to access the Routers home page and it appears that her Username and Password no longer was showing. My mother would not have evn known how to acces this and no-one else has access to her PC. Re-entering the details gave her back her internet access.

Does anyone have any ideas of how the Username and password could have been erased. Is this a sign of something more sinsiter or just bad luck?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

3 REPLIES
p_w_d_stone
Grafter

Something strange

No way anyone could have done a factory reset is there?

I presume she is connecting to the router via ethernet? If so it's extremely unlikely that anything will have removed the username and/or password, although it has been theoretically shown that javascript could be used to compromise router firewalls where login details were left as default- so it is worth changing this.

If you have already done so, AFAIK, there's no way anything could have changed this.
Fixes: 116

Something strange

I doubt if a factory reset had been done.

Passwords have been changed from default so it's a mystery.

All seems ok now, so will see if it happens again.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Something strange

No real logical reason I can think of unless that's what the router does if it fails to authenticate a certain number of times so you know to re-enter the username and password.