cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Someone please help with unstable connection!

N/A

Hi all,

My PlusNet connection is driving me insane. I'm on the brink of joining (gag) AOL simply because I work for a reseller of theirs and get £14.99 Platinum up to 8MBit (normally £29.99) and even if their connection is the same I'll save a couple of quid a month.

I was apparently upgraded to ADSLMAX upto 8Mbit at the end of August. My connnection started off really well, getting 4>5Mbit (which is fine), which then plummeted to 0.5Mbit. This happened at the time my old router blew up. I've since replaced the router with a 3Com Officeconnect 3CRWDR100A-72 802.11b/g ADSL Modem / Router combo.

Since I changed to this router, I've had my stable speed drop immediately to 0.5Mbit (according to the Stable Speed checker on this website). However this only seems to have happened because of my old router flaking out and losing the connection about 50 times in the day it finally popped.

Heres how my router stats look today - note that it's showing 7.3Mbit - this is WAY higher than I expect my line to handle. According to BT 5Mbit is about the most I can expect. When the connection is at 7Mbit or thereabouts, I get disconnected after a while and the router resyncs at a lower speed. Once it resyncs at 6Mbit or so it is 100% sturdy, but I can't 'fix' it at this speed.

So, what can I do? If I do the recommended 'reset your router once a day for 3 days' it's fine until it resyncs at a high speed like 7.4Mbit - when it is guarenteed to drop again shortly after.

I'm currently on Interleaved Path, rather than Fast Path. I understand *some* people have had problems like these solved by going on Fast Path rather than Interleaved, which might be one of the last things I try.

---------
Heres my router log :

ADSL Status

Status
Configured Current
Line Status --- SHOWTIME
Link Type --- Interleaved Path

Data Rate
Stream Type Actual Data Rate
Up Stream 448 (Kbps.)
Down Stream 7392 (Kbps.)

Operation Data
Operation Data Upstream Downstream
Noise Margin 21 dB 5 dB
Attenuation 38 dB 30 dB

Defect Indication
Indicator Name Near End Indicator Far End Indicator
Fast Path FEC Correction 0 0
Interleaved Path FEC Correction 7480 828827
Fast Path CRC Error 0 0
Interleaved Path CRC Error 92 3270
Loss of Signal Defect 0 ---
Fast Path HEC Error 0 0
Interleaved Path HEC Error 204 0

Statistics
Received Cells 677910
Transmitted Cells 37979
4 REPLIES
N/A

Looking at your downstream noise margin you may have to do what I did and request your margin threshold be raised,as mine was at 6db and it seemed if the wife opened the fridge door my connection would drop.You may lose a a bit of you speed,but my experience was that it was not a great deal of a loss.I don't have access to my router at the moment but from memory I was syncing at 8128 with SNR/margin of 6db.I am now rock solid at a sync rate of approx 7500Kbps give or take a few, and a SNR/margin of around 14db.The connection has not dropped once in the 4-5 weeks since I had it done.By the way I had interleaving turned on as well.

So as a last resort it maybe something worth considering
N/A

Hi, thanks for your reply!

Would that be something I would ask PlusNet to do? If so how did you do it?
ady
Grafter

err raising i ticket my guess would be:

http://portal.plus.net/wizard/index.html?help_action=tdl01
N/A

Would that be something I would ask PlusNet to do? If so how did you do it?

Some may not believe this,but mine was done after a few chats with a helpful chap at CS on the phone regarding my disconnections and the suggetions came from him...... but I suspect a ticket maybe the way to go given the current situation.

I understand it is something that Plusnet have to ask BT to do.