cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Some websites work OK, some are stupidly slow

N/A

and all the ones i access are terribly slow....

I honestly dont understand how PN find 35 seconds the access google is acceptable?

As far as i know i am not on any form of management (yet at least). I had no problems until the new management and no changes have been made to my PC. If i access these sites at 2am they are fine, its only during PNs peak times. Been doing it for about 5 days now and is very annoying.
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran

While this has been said before, exchange contention can also cause what you are seeing. Have you run the BT Speed tester when things are slow to confrm if it is the local exchange causing the slowdown or not?

Also try the BTO HTTP download test.

What speeds do you get from the plusntet speed tester and the ADSLguide speedtest.

Also try running WinMTR for at least 5 mins to the same sites you are seeing slow to se if you are getting any packet loss.
N/A

Downloaded the 10mb file @ 236.1kbs average and the speed test returned:

Downstream
1868 Kbps (233.5 KB/sec)
2017 Kbps (inc. overheads)

Upstream
243 Kbps (30.4 KB/sec)
262 Kbps (inc. overheads)

Getting the program to test for packet loss now.

It really strange, one minute things will not work at all, then 2 minutes later they work fine.
Community Veteran

If you have a router, have you rebooted it recently. If not, try that as it may be causing the problem. Same goes for the PC itself.

Other things to consider are software firewalls, background anti-virus apps (try disabling any for a short while and see if the problem persists or goes away).

Are you sure no-one else is using your connection. i.e are you using wireless perhaps or have other PCs sharing the ADSL connection?

Have you tried with all other phones, faxes, modems, sky boxes discnnected? A faulty ADSL filter/splitter could also cause inconsistant speeds as can a phone connected without an ADSL filter/splitter.

Does your ADSL equipment show line stats and errors, and if so do they fluctuate in line with your speed issues. I.e. does the SNR go below 10dB or even below 7dB when you get speed issues then go higher when you don't?

I know this sounds like a lot of work but these are the minimum tests/checks you need to do to elimitate your side of the connection and before PN & BT will accept a fault. The vast majority of faults raised turn out to be on the customers side of the connection.
N/A

Hi, thanks for the help mate Smiley

Im not running any firewalls as my router does that for me, and i get the problem with any virus/spyware programs both enabled and disabled.

We do have a wireless access point attatched to the router, but its only plugged in on the rare occasion its used, and both of the main PCs are hooked up direct on RJ45 cables. Out next door neighbour installed wireless recently and we started picking up his connection, so we disconnect ours when its not needed now just to make sure next door goes on the right line.

Yes, i have checked the lines etc mate. When we first went to 2mb the telephone extension cable was dodgy so needed replacing, and the line has been tested hooked directly up to the main socket.

This is the link to the program you recommended i try to test for packet loss, tested on google:

http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/769/untitled9nl.jpg

And this is my ADSL stats, which to me seem to be well within the limits of 2mb:

http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/8156/snr4an.jpg

Thanks for the help mate, much appreciated.
N/A

Got a few errors there but does not seam bad for a 7h30m connection to me.
aeroalfie
Grafter

I installed the faster fox extension yesterday and have noticed a slight speed up in web page loading.

http://fasterfox.mozdev.org/
N/A

Just trying that out, does seam to have quite a good effect.