cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Some sites inaccessible through PlusNet

shellsong
Grafter

Some sites inaccessible through PlusNet

For a little while now I have been unable to reach certain sites. The sites do not have anything I know of in common and through use of a proxy I can reach them fine. I used to be able to access them all without problem.
Any ideas what is wrong?

(Example site I can't connect to but used to be able to is http://www.rentacoder.com)
9 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Some sites inaccessible through PlusNet

> For a little while now I have been unable to reach certain sites. The sites do not have anything I know of in common and through use of a proxy I can reach them fine. I used to be able to access them all without problem.
> Any ideas what is wrong?
>
>
> (Example site I can't connect to but used to be able to is http://www.rentacoder.com)

Hi,

I've just tried that site via our ADSL test line and could view it successfully. Are you able to view it if you try another browser?

Kind Regards,
Rob
--
| Robert Kelly.....................Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Technical Support...................for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd...........@ http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet -----
shellsong
Grafter

I've tried the site under Opera, IE, and Mozilla in XP, 98Se and SUSE Linux 8.1, on different machines (all on the same LAN). I used to be able to access it fine, and that's not the only site I have difficulties viewing.
And the fact that I can view it via a proxy would seem to indicate it is nothing to do with the Browser also.
N/A

Do you by any chance use a modified HOSTS file.

This is a common trick to prevent banner ads being displayed, and leaving a unsigtly red X (but the benefit of no damned animation).

These files can often block out major portion of web-sites.

Including the liks of rd.yahoo.com. This is there ads server, and also provides redirection. Thus blocking gets rid of ads, but is a pain for looking at provided links.
Julie
Grafter

Hi,

Have you changed your MTU settings?? and are you on a Networked machine?

The reason I ask this is this happened to one of my machines after changing MTU settings. The settings were changed on the main machine but not on the other 2, this restricted their access to certain sites. Once the mtu settings were changed on those two machines everything was fine.

This may not be your problem at all but thought it might be worth mentioning.
Hope you get your problem sorted.
shellsong
Grafter

The machines are all networked through a router and I haven't changed the MTU settings. One of the machines has a modified host file, but the other two do not, so I do not think this can be the problem.
9 out of 10 sites work fine, it's just a few that I have trouble accessing.
Community Veteran

> The machines are all networked through a router and I haven't changed the MTU settings. One of the machines has a modified host file, but the other two do not, so I do not think this can be the problem.
> 9 out of 10 sites work fine, it's just a few that I have trouble accessing.

Does your router have any keyword content filtering?

If possible try using the same machine via a modem using the normal 0845 dialup number and same username and password. Or another ADSL modem / router.

Chris
N/A

Have you tried again recently?
When I read your post I tried http://www.rentacoder.com and couldn't connect either (Mozilla said something about the site contains no data) but I've just tried again and it's working fine now - weird!

Tim

N/A

Are you by any chance using a Dlink 504? I find that very occasionally my router starts blocking certain sites and needs switching off for a few seconds.
shellsong
Grafter

I'm using a Conexant ADSL router which doesn't have keyword filtering. Switching off and back on seems to make no difference and the problem still persists.