cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Some clarity please on all these broadband upgrade issues?

N/A

I have had an unreliable broadband for over two months - and an open ticket for that time. Regular freeze ups in the evening, requiring router reboot. I am on LLU and get from 2 to 4 MB/s varies after every reconnect. I am clearly not alone. I have read the very interesting guides about broadband and S/N ratio and BRAS servers etc. But I want my old service level back.

1. Can we have some clarity as to what all these problems that others are also reporting are caused by?
2. How is it being addressed?
3. What are the likely timescales of fixing the system?
4. Who am I best contacting about it? Ofcom maybe? LOL

I have a feeling that there is a broad technology problem that is not PN's fault, but they have ended up delivering it to lots of customers and cannot now cope with support load.
8 REPLIES
N/A

I agree, I would very much like to see a full report on what causes these problems and what is actually done to remedy them.

at the moment it's a case of

1) yes you have a fault
2) we will look into it
3) we've reported it to our providers
4) it's fixed

with the time scale between 1 and 4 varying form 4 days (the first time I lost my connection after being moved to LLU) to a few weeks (reported by others, so far it's 6 days on my second loss of connection)

I can understand my first downtime after the move to LLU (although not condone it!!), but why has it gone down again after nearly a month of almost perfect use??

will somebody actually tell me what the fault was or am I just going to be told "we fixed it"?
Community Veteran

I agree, I would very much like to see a full report on what causes these problems and what is actually done to remedy them.

Since the stop of MaxDSL I have asked this question too ... it is ignored by PN. Yet they are restarting MaxDSL next week without really detailing what fixes are in place.

Now they have stopped LLU too, you are right to ask for the list of known problems, has a fix been found, has it been verifed and how was it verfied.

I expect a wall of silence.

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
N/A

I agree also that it would be nice to understand what the problems are. I've had no connection since being LLU'd over 2 weeks ago (i know there are people who have been off for longer) and am still none the wiser as to why or when i can expect to be up and running.I work in the hotel trade and often find if you explain what your problem is your customer is a bit more understanding and is prepared to bare with you a little more. That said, more than 2 weeks is pushing people to the limit! Come on PN, tell us what's happening.
N/A

I want to know also.

Why have they changed my target SNR values, I want them back to the same BT level?

Why can't I turn off interleaving?

Why do I get random disconnects?

We have been moved, a lot of us weren't informed we were being moved, only afterwards. I had the confirmation of my move AFTER they said they were stopping the whole thing and raising a question only to be told I hadn't been moved (which they have now apologised for).

I always planned on seeing how it went for others before deciding whether to opt out, I wasn't given that choice as I wasn't informed.

I think that as they have admitted there are issues they should at least offer those that have been moved and NOT informed the opportunity to go back to their BT provided product without cost to themselves.

If I could afford to pay all the deferred charges then I would request my Mac and leave, but wait, I can't because only a limited amount of providers accept LLU Macs anyway (thats if PN give it us).

So if I want to leave, I have to cancel the service, then arrange for a new connection, all at my cost.

So they have me trapped which I am not happy about.

I could handle the usage limits and understood the reasoning for traffic management, as a gamer, I felt this would benefit me in the long run, but since moving to LLU my pings have become unacceptably high, I will have to jump through hoops to establish why and there are so many unknowns that everyone can just say "Not us gov". All I know is that it was fine before LLU migration and now isn't. Yes the speed changed at peak times, but the pings remained pretty constant now they are all over the place.

So Plusnet, what are the issues that caused the migration to stop and what is being done about them?
N/A

No one from PN care to give us a reply? It's been a few days so though i would bump this back to the front page in the hope of someone seeing it.
N/A

Very interested to hear from PN. In addition

- why was the announcement about refunds only announced within the technical status bulletin; why have the full details promised on Weds 16 Aug not been published?
Mand
Grafter

Hi

Most of the LLU problems immediately after transfer are configuration issues at the exchange, sometimes Tiscali's fault, sometimes BT's (as they both have to complete work at the exchange). How long this takes to fix depends on what needs doing and by who usually. Initially a large section of the LLU connectivity problems were due to incorrect settings, although this happens less and less now as we try to educate customers better.

For faults occuring after the initial move it is more difficult to tie down the causes, no ADSL service is going to be fault free all the time.

With regards to interleaving and SNR changes, we can change these if performance is ok, however at present this is done by placing an order with Tiscali. We will shortly be able to make changes such as these internally, which will cut down on the time taken and give us much more control.

All your faults are currently under investigation, however when they are resolved we would be happy to tell you what the issue was and how it was resolved.
N/A

Thankyou for your reply. I understand more the problem involved, but i still think nearly 3 weeks is unacceptable.Someone has to take responsibility for the problem, be it PN, Tiscali or BT, and sort a fix for it.If a fix is not easy then transfer us back where we came from.