cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solution to cut traffic

lank111
Grafter

Solution to cut traffic

umm, was thinking last night after see'ing a advert.

OnSpeed, internet compression, makes internet downloading faster.

Hasn't plusnet thought about network compression solutions?
i know compressing data can be damaging and slow to de-compress but cant it be used on p2p n bit torrents!

or

if a customer has a really bad speed, plusnet should give them a copy of on speed, as a way of saying sorry we've 'M'ucked up, please see this gift as a way of trying to say we're sorry and it might incress ur speed to a near broadband .......

jus a thought
7 REPLIES
grimme
Grafter

Solution to cut traffic

Hi,

Onspeed works mainly by compressing the images on a web page so that the page appears to load quicker, but shows slightly lower quality images as a result. (You can adjust the level of compression it gives)

I do not believe that it can compress downloads.

Also I would think that some files being transferred by p2p/torrents would have already had some compression applied to them (zipped)? and would not benefit from another compression level.

HTH
James
Grafter

Solution to cut traffic

There's actually a thread about this on PUG:

http://usergroup.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,4398.0.html
pacem
Grafter

Solution to cut traffic

For those that would like to continue this here, this was my post to the usergroup forum. Finally I think there is a use for ellcoya that all PN users will appreciate:....

There is a compression standard for http but it is not used much. I suspect this is because the benefit is not significant enough i.e. cost saved in bandwidth over cost incurred in processing.

A more significant saving than compression would be for PN to addblock certain content. The advert images on web pages take up more bandwidth than the actual data on the page.

PN could also use this as a means of making more money by offering the likes of doubleclick.net the opportunity to pay to allow their traffic onto PN's network. So either PN have more capacity, or doubleclick.net pay for PN to buy more capacity.

Paul.<><
gswindale
Grafter

Solution to cut traffic

Now that last part seems like a good idea although I doubt many content providers would be happy at the thought of the advertising they are carrying to cover their costs being blocked by individual ISPs to improve their overall traffic performance.
GersFans
Grafter

Solution to cut traffic

A more significant saving than compression would be for PN to addblock certain content. The advert images on web pages take up more bandwidth than the actual data on the page.

What an excellent idea, I for one would be mighty impressed if my ISP took the steps required to block ad networks, thier images and scripts.

I use firefox plugin to do it myself, but the ISP doing it at source is a great idea!
hitachi
Grafter

Solution to cut traffic

And when sites cease to exist because everyone is using add blockers that should reduce traffic even more.
lank111
Grafter

Solution to cut traffic

so basicly, plusnet can banned all advertising unless the company pays for the bandwidth......

my guess, plusnets falling customer base won't affect the advertising agentcys click thur ratio in the slightest.

i think customers using high bandwidth services should be made to pay the bandwidth charges.

Also, adding a option where customers can buy more webspace and web server bandwidth could be put into a capacity fund as providing webspace and server bandwidth isn't as expensive as people think and the 250mb is shockly low!
i would host all jy sites with plusnet but its due to that i dont.

i know companys who provide unlimited webspace with unlimited bandwidth for £40 a year!, they have been trading for years and has seen massive growth to their customer base and their bank balance!!! If you think it cant be unlimited, few of the customers use over 100 Gig a month, totaling TB's per month on the whole operation