cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solution to Idle Timeout problem -- All read

N/A

ok this is how to solve the idle time crap that plusnet are gonna make some of you live with (if you have the effected accounts that is)

do this::

click start
click run
type "cmd" (withouth the " ")
type "ping -t www.plus.net" (again without the " ")
minimise this window

you should see output like

Pinging portal.plus.net [212.159.8.137] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 212.159.8.137: bytes=32 time=192ms TTL=249
Reply from 212.159.8.137: bytes=32 time=22ms TTL=249
Reply from 212.159.8.137: bytes=32 time=24ms TTL=249

now just leave it going, it will keep your net connected, use very very little bandwidth, and you shall be able to leave your PC for over 30 mins without being kicked from an "always on" connection.

Oh and if anyone else feels it may help their internet connection -- go for it as well Smiley
43 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Maybe a mod should sticky this :razz:
Pathfinder
Grafter

Nice, I can see the next TheRegister headline:

Customers run a denial of service attack against their own ISP

:shock:
N/A

I'm actualy wondering if this solution would work though.

The whole thought of normal internet noise, is enough to suggest that this sort of activity & traffic will be exempt from the idle-timeout.

Personaly, I would suggest something like a email checking application, that notifies you of new email in your system tray, set to 10 mins.

It's legitimate traffic that isn't internet noise.
N/A

There's a few problems with this approach:

Repeated ping's for an abnormal amount of time, such as this, can cause security software to think that an attempted hacking is in place, or worse, a denial of service, and it may block all traffic from the source address, which would basically disconnect you from the internet completely.

Secondly, ping's are ICMP traffic, and PlusNet probably only regards normal traffic, such as data to TCP connections, to reset the idle counter.

Therefore, if you wish to "get round" the idle timeouts, I would suggest leaving an email client open, and checking your email every 15 minutes or so, and it would also have some practical use.
N/A

That's a numpty idea. :?
N/A

well I dunno, but if they do, just use a comandline tool to FTP out continualy , ping out, wget continualy or other, however it would be interesting to see if they count a ping as just noise or not.....

and its not a DoS -- you can if you wish, set it up as a scheduled task to ping www.plus.net every 10mins (4 packets) or sommit... should keep you "active". the first idea was just a simple easy way for everyone to have a go
Pathfinder
Grafter

the first idea was just a simple easy way for everyone to have a go

.... and fail miserably whilst at the same time probably getting disconnected by plusnet!
mike001
Grafter

If you are using Outlook express the defult time to check for new messages is every 30 minutes just set it to 29 minutes
and leave it running :lol:
Azagoth
Grafter

Yeah, I thought about using Thunderbird to check my mail every 20mins.

Also, you could leave you browser on a vBulletin based forums 'Who's online' page, these pages auto-refresh every 30seconds or so.

So, there's no need to carry out a quasi DDOS attack on your own ISP.
Community Veteran

You could aim it at the portal servers, then plus would have a reason to get rid of the forum :twisted:
N/A

All you need to do is have your mail client open and have it set to check for messages every 15 minutes.
Community Veteran

I know but seeing the fourm go down is much more fun :twisted:
N/A

how would it fail exactly? -- if so, send a httpget packet *shrug*
N/A

Another alternative would be to get an RSS reader and set it to grab the news headlines from the BBC (or even PN's own status feed) every 15 minutes...

One idle timeout defeated.